Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simon is nervous and unaffectionate  (Read 1865 times)

e9c9p82

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Simon is nervous and unaffectionate
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »

I adopted Simon, a two-year-old male chinchilla (my very first chinchilla), about seven weeks ago. I figured it would take a while to bond with a chin who had lived with someone else for two years, but I guess I had high expectations from watching those "watch me scratch my chinchilla behind his ears!" videos on youtube. Simon reeeeeally doesn't like to be touched. I have tried to rub behind his ears or under his chin, but he nips at me (never to induce pain, just as a warning). Getting him out for playtime is a little tough: his cage is in my living room, but I have set up the hallway and bathroom as safe places for him to play. I have to coax him far enough out of his cage with a treat (which sometimes takes 20 minutes) so I can pick him up and carry him, but he struggles so violently and sometimes leaps from my arms.

However, during playtime, I sit with him and he will climb over me affectionately, sitting on my lap or surveying the hallway from the top of my head. This seems like progress, but it goes back to normal when I put him home. It's like he is afraid of me when he's in the cage, and okay with me when he's out. Maybe he just doesn't like his cage...? When he is awake, he either huddles on his lava perch or attacks the cage's bars like a velociraptor checking for weaknesses. I don't have a grand homemade mansion of a cage for him to play in, but it's 2'x2'x4' I think, with three shelves. I have two pine houses in which he can hide, and lots of stuff for him to chew on, so he should be fairly content while in his cage. I don't know what could be causing his anxiety.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thanks, guys!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Simon is nervous and unaffectionate
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »

First of all congratulations on your new chinchillas!!  I love that he is bonding with you outside of the cage.  This means that there is hope.  My guess is that he feels threatened inside of the cage when your hands come in.  He has associated your hands in his cage with trying to touch him or trying to remove him.and he is scared.  Once he is out he associates you with a fun jungle gym.   You just need to change his view of your hands in the cage.  From now on, either stop outside play, carry his cage to the play room, or temporarily move his cage to that room so he can walk out on his own.

Now, draw an imaginary line dividing his cage in half.  When your hands are inside his cage you are not to cross that line.  The back half is his safe zone.  Keep his dust bath away for a week so he really misses it then pour some dust into your palm and sit it inside the cage.  JUST WAIT!!  He might stay back at first but eventually he will come for the dust.  With a little patience on your part he will be rubbing himself all over your palm soon.  Don't try to touch him.  Now each time your hand comes inside the cage it needs a treat in it.  A raisin, a new chew toy, some dust.  Still no touching.  Keep this up until he comes running to the front of the cage when he sees you.  Once he is no longer afraid of your hand you can start trying to touch.  BUT DON"T CROSS THAT IMAGINARY LINE.  Once he sees you won't chase him he will come back.  It might take him a few days of running to the back of the cage each time you try, but he will keep coming back and soon it will be a fun game. 

If you keep this up hopefully you'll be well bonded before Christmas, and what a wonderful Christmas present that will be for you!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »

I so agree with Chinclub, this is a very gradual process.Chins have very long memories, and I have no doubt they mourn the loss of someone from their little lives. Our little Mother lost her mate shortly after her son was born, and is still a little anxious and not so mellow as before. She has taken several months to become a chin who, if allowed to approach, will sit in my lap, or on my foot and allow some small skritches under her chin.
Give your Baby time, it is the most important gift you have to give him.Not only does he have a new home to adjust to, he also has a new chinparent and has lost his original chinparent and home. That is a lot of loss and adjustment! When the time is right, and only he will know, he will give you all the love he can. For now, you just have to wait. Best of luck. :)

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. ???

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »

It took me about 6 months to bond with my 5 yr old chinchilla, with me sleeping next to his cage every single day  :) But he is still scared of me when he's inside his cage. When I take him to play in the bathroom, he also climb all over me like your chinchilla does. When he's back in this cage, he didn't let me touch him. It's been almost a year now and he let me touch him, only like 50% of the time though. Most chinchillas don't like to be held, so it is not strange for yours to leap away from your arms. My boy does that everytime. When I touch him I don't usually hold him, he would stand there and let me do it. I trained him by giving him treat everytime he let me pet him (i use oats because they are small so that I can give him more than one a day) But he would get scared if I try to pick him up or hold him. Well that was my bonding story. So I think you guys are just in your bonding process, don't worry you will get to scratch him behind his ears eventually!  ;) Good luck!
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:16:31 AM »

My husband and I just acquired 2 chinchi's about 2 weeks ago from a breeders. They seems more comfortable with us now since they climb out of the cage once we open the door.

I was told to try and use an empty dust bath to transport your chinchi out of it's cage.
I would sit in front of the cage with the door open, I'd put my hand in their with a treat. I do that everyday still. My boys still come up and sit on me and climb on me. That might help your chinchi get use to you.

Good luck, keep us updated.  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up