Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daphne is very sick  (Read 4133 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Daphne is very sick
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »

any news on sammy?

Corrie Anne

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »

I am sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner. I have 6 kids and they are a hand full sometimes. Sammy is great. I took him in and he was healthy. They did not look at his leg though. they said they will when i bring him back since it was an emergency kinda aptment. But i think they just said that to make sure i come back to make them more money. but they are the only ones in my area that treat exotics. His dust baths were not doing anything for his mats from his prev. owners so i decided to comb him and they came right out. He did not like it at all but i think if i comb him at least 3 times a week then he would get use to it. And he is so soft now. He has been eating more too for some reason. I am thinking maybe Daphne was stressing him out, she was really the "man" of the house. Thanks for asking about him. Now that i know he is healthy, i am planning on getting a pair this Christmas. The owner thinks the female is pregnant and do around that time. She says she usually births 3 or 4 kits.
Mother to 5 girls(8,4,3,2 and 6 months) and 1 boy(7) Mother to Daphne a 4yrold Standard and Sammy A Hetero Beige(prev. owners said he is 1 but i think he is old)Mother to Frankie a kitten.
R.I.P Daphne 2006- Oct 30th 2010

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »

that's great news! well.. lady chins are the men in the house! ;)

will you be getting 2 boys? just remember to triple check the sex of the babies - don't believe what anybody tells you (my first chin was sold to me as a girl, he was a boy. another chin we got to be the first chin's friend was supposed to be a boy, she's very much a girl.. we only found out when there were three little babies peeking at us - and she was sexed by 2 breeders. my boy had to be neutered and we lost him. it's been 5 months and i still cry most days. i just got a rescue chin that was supposed to be a boy. it's a girl.)

will they live with sammy? go really slow on introductions and don't panic if it doesn't look like they'd never be able to live together (although that may happen) - chinchi and fluffy took about two months but after that they were inseparable..

Corrie Anne

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »

The chins i am getting are male and female that have been paired for a while and have had kits before. They will be coming with their own cage. Sammy, i would like to get him a friend. I dont want a female in this cage b/c i dont know if this leg is due to an accident or if he was born like that. I emailed his prev. owner and she did not even know(or at least she says)about his leg. She says no one was really hands on with the chins. She has his cage mate still and i am trying to get him for Sammy but i will have to pay for him. Not too much she wanted $125 for both Sammy and Buck Wheat including cage and supplies. I still owe her $70 to get Buck Wheat(which i will be changing his name.lol) Having to get Sammy checked out and i have been having wisdom teeth problems, i dont have the extra cash right now. I should be able to around thanksgiving which i told her. So i will soon have 4 plus if momma is pregnant whatever she births which the lady says is usually 3 to4 kits each time. When i get Buck Wheat Sammy will go back into that cage and the cage he is in now will become the birthing cage.
Mother to 5 girls(8,4,3,2 and 6 months) and 1 boy(7) Mother to Daphne a 4yrold Standard and Sammy A Hetero Beige(prev. owners said he is 1 but i think he is old)Mother to Frankie a kitten.
R.I.P Daphne 2006- Oct 30th 2010

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

please don't take this wrong way (i really do not want to sound mean!) but is it wise for you to own a couple who will have kits?

it's just that you've not kept chins for a long time, you have no vet who does emergencies over weekends and kits can be a lot more trouble than you may think to start with and you have to anticipate vet bills if you are breeding.

i had kits by accident (we thought both chins were male - a mistake i will not make again) - mum had mastitis and could not nurse so we had to hand raise the babies for the first three weeks before she recovered and her milk came back in. this meant feeding every 2 hours day and night & each feed took about 30 minutes. thankfully i have an understanding boss.
sometimes you need an emergency c-section and you have to do this within (i think) four hours from when contractions start.. you don't have a vet near you.. this would mean both mum and babies are dead if she doesn't see the vet in time. if mum dies giving birth (or during c-section), you'll have to hand raise the babies as well as keeping them warm (i thankfully had mum doing the warming up big) - and this is your job for at least 6 weeks. sometimes there's something wrong with the kits. sometimes one kit gets bullied by others and you'll need to rotate.
you also need to remove dad from the cage for the first 7-10 days after mum gives birth to prevent breedback.

there is a lot to think about.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up