Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: do you think this is cruel?  (Read 1736 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
do you think this is cruel?
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »

nearly six months ago, one of our 'male' chinchillas gave birth to three babies - two boys & a girl - we took the dad out as soon as we found them but they did manage to mate in the space of few hours and she gave birth to a lovely girl two months ago.

we had the dad neutered and he developed a massive infection and unfortunately had to have another surgery two months later which he didn't survive. i have loved him more than i have ever loved any animal and i just cannot seem to be able to get over it.

now, the baby boys, we separated them from mum & sister when they were 9.5 weeks old (ffynn didn't weigh enough to be separated at 8 weeks) and they lived together until just before 5 months when we split them into two cages as mum & sisters are in the same room.
we don't have another room we could have put them in - annoyingly, we bought a house just before they were born (and we didn't know they were on the way) & we bought a small two bed cottage, we were also looking at a 4 bedroom new built but decided we liked the cottage better and didn't need huge amount of space.

so, the original plan was to have the boys neutered and pair them with girls but i just can't can't can't do it after what we went through with chinchi...

each boy has a very large three tier cage with a saucer wheel and all sorts of fun stuff. they can see each other and they can also see the girls, the girls (they're housed together) are slightly further away. they haven't been allowed on a run out because of the possibility of fits in kits younger than 6 months but in a week, they'll be getting an evening run every day. at the moment, their mum comes out of the cage and goes to see each of them and they sniff faces and all. one of the boys, spock, is happy to be picked up so i hold him and let him groom his sisters' faces through the cage. ffynn's not at all keen on being picked up but he's happy to be stroked.

am i being cruel by keeping the boys by themselves? or can they happily live surrounded by other chins?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: do you think this is cruel?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »

It isn't cruel to keep them apart, it is safe.  If you house them together they could fight to the death when one of the females goes into heat.  They will be fine by themselves.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »

thank you, it does mean a lot. i know they could fight and there's no way i'd allow that. it's just they come from a large litter and the girls are always cuddled up together, i wish i could have the boys in a different room or make them infertile somehow so they could have lady friends.

but it's good to know they'll be ok :) i love them so much and want only the best for them and a companion would mean neutering and i'm just too scared to do that.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »

Yes not to worry, they know each other is still there.
Just don't be surprised if in time they all don't seem to like each other. That's normal too.
I have several males that have been in cages alone all their lives. They are pets that I have never bred. They are as happy as any of the rest.
I think some forget their chins and think their human cause they hate the sight of other chins. They know they are all there, but let one get handy to anther's cage and I would have toes chomped off. :doh:
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:10:59 AM »

thanks debbie! oh dear, naughty boys!

they are so different. spock is very chilled out, doesn't mind being picked up, you can stroke him down his back like a cat. but when he starts grooming your face, he goes for it! the amount of times i had tears in my eyes because he decided to sink his teeth into my nostrils!

ffynn, on the other hand is a bit skittish but he will groom your face if you stick it by the door. he's very gentle with it though, just nibbling!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:57 AM »

and plus they will always have you!!
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)