Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building a cage in Ag.Mech. any design ideas?  (Read 2530 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
building a cage in Ag.Mech. any design ideas?
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »

So I'm taking Ag. Mechanics and we are going to have to build something after Christmas, so i figured a chin cage wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since I'm not completely satisfied with what i have now. So i need some ideas. Now Herbs is a very active, intelligent being that gets bored fairly easily so i need a cage that has plenty of places for him to crawl through and play with, but I'm no builder. My teacher says that if i can get him a design he'll help me do it, so ideas? Also dimensions that would be best would be helpful.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Re: building a cage in Ag.Mech. any design ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:55 AM »

Thats is such a great idea. I wish i could do something like that. I don't know much about dimensions. There are some pictures of cool cages people have built on here thought. I'll try to see if i can find the links. Would he like just a buch of jumbing ledges and a hamack?

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:48 AM »

I know one thing for sure, keep everything adjustable!  ::nod:: We move shelves, baskets, hammocks, ledges, everything but the litter corner, every week at least. Otherwise our clever ducks get bored too, and start chewing the bars, and demanding more play time.  ::tickedoff:: Also, I have always wished for the ledges to be, just a tiny bit, angled toward the inside of the hutch, with a small edge on the wall, so the droppings roll IN not OUT.  :D Another idea I had would be tiny louvered gates, he can open. Made out of pine they would be nice to chew on and fun to open, close. (We have some in our bathroom, and trust me, he will learn how to open and close, and chew, them,lol) Good luck and I am pea green with envy of your new hutch! :::grins::

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »

Ooo those doors are an idea I'm sure he would love it! I'm definitely going to have lots of ledges and climbing devises but hes not one for hanging, especially while sleeping. good idea though!  you know i never thought of adjustable insides, what a  brilliant idea ::nod::! i usually have to try and come up with more things Outside the cage and i can only do so much :p
thanks y'all, if you can come up with anything else feel free to comment ;)

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

Do you by chance go to calpoly?  You should look at the ferret nation cage.  It seems to be a nice size, but I would redo it to have pull out stainless steel trays.  Powder Coating is great :)

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »

um I've never heard of it, but i have seen the ferret nations. well the size of the cage is determined by the size of the corner of my room he's in, but right now you can fit me and another small human into the cage so i think that size will pretty much be fine. I'm more interesting with the innards of the cage and how to make that more exciting and adaptable for him. right now all i have is the boring 3shelf theme, but i have attempted to spice it up a tad.
keep the ideas coming please!
Pages: [1]   Go Up