Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help! My Youngest chinchilla is fur biting my other chinchilla's fur?  (Read 861 times)

ToesOnTheNose

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

Aloha chin lovers!
My boyfriend and I have three chinchillas, a standard gray who is 2 years old, and hetero beige who is one year old, and a mosaic who is 8 months old. They are all males and live in a decently big cage which is 3 1/2 ft x 2 1/2 ft x 6 ft...they are equipped with plenty of chewable toys, they all have their own houses, plenty of room to jump around, and also a flying saucer wheel which they love to use.
But recently we started noticing that our beige chin would start barking periodically and when we would go to check on him it was because our youngest, the mosaic has been biting his fur. Is this normal? Should we be worried? Is there a way to prevent this occurrence? We would love any advice as this is new to us, and currently our beige is sporting a bald spot on the top of his head because of the fur biting.  We have checked and found that there is no blood or fighting, so we don't think that he is trying to hurt our beige, but it is probably frustrating him. Though we have not seen any change in our beige's fun loving attitude, we are sure hes not too happy that he has a bald spot on his head now. Thank you!

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile

Fur biting is due to bordom or stress but it sounds like you provide them with everything so it's can't be that. To be honest it is so hard to get them to stop fur chewing. Has there been a change in anything, diet, have they moved location, anything?
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up