Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable chinchilla wheel and behaviour change  (Read 1308 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Suitable chinchilla wheel and behaviour change
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »

So I've been to every pet shop in Dublin and looked at all the options on the internet that ship to Dublin at a reasonable price (or at all), and I'm not having too much luck finding a suitable wheel. I obviously want one that isn't plastic. My two chinchillas have shown me that they don't care much for the flying saucer style wheel, (I had one for six months and they didn't use it once) so I'm looking for an upright one. Does anyone have experience making these?
I was thinking of getting this basic tray
http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30133051
and fixing some type of bearing to the back. Any advice?

Also, the reason I want this now is because my male Chinchilla is showing some slightly worrying behaviour changes. He's up during the day more, and he's generally more active. He used to sleep right through the day. Until recently, he'd be happy to only play at play time and spend most of the rest of his time chilling. He'd throw around his food dish a little bit when it was empty the odd time too but now he's doing it alot more. He's also chewing his house and rattling the bars of his cage alot, even after playtime and I've heard this can be a sign of frustration or boredom. They have tons of things to chew in their cage. I let them both out for at least a half hour every night and that used to be enough for them. The female chinchilla is pregnant and due soon, could that have anything to do with his behaviour change? The cage is situated in the living room and I'm always about during the day but I don't make much noise and it's never seemed to bother him before. I'd appreciate any advice or comments.

Pikachu

• SolsticeSun
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable chinchilla wheel and behaviour change
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »

My Chinchilla also went through a behavior change before she got her new cage. Her first cage was too small, and she would constantly pull the bars out and escape, throw her food bowl, and in general be very unhappy. Now that she has a new and much bigger cage, she is happier. I have a large wheel for her, and tons of toys. On occasion she still does throw her food bowl to show she's frustrated and bored. When this happens, I take her out longer and usually give her something new to play with. Maybe your male chinchilla just needs more play time or even a bigger cage.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »

I've actually ordered a second cage to separate the dad when the kit/ kits are born and when I reintroduce him, I'll have it so the two cages are connected which will mean double the space for them all. I think a wheel could go a long way to alleviating his boredom. I'm just having trouble sourcing one at a halfway reasonable price.

Pikachu

• SolsticeSun
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »

I brought my cage on amazon, it was a lot cheaper than buying it in the store.
Pages: [1]   Go Up