Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New female doesn't like to be held  (Read 1276 times)

TheStoryofHurricane

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New female doesn't like to be held
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

The title says it all. I got her about two weeks ago and she is really great, except she hates to be held which makes everything more difficult. Any tips you could give me would be really helpful. Shes a little under a year old.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: New female doesn't like to be held
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

It takes chins some time to develop trust with a human.  just go slow and at her pace.  if she doesn't want to be held, but if she'll jump on you, let her do that, she will learn to trust you.  you can work with her using safe treats.

and to be honest, i'm not actually sure if Chins like to be "picked up". i'm sure someone owning them longer will know.. i have four, three do not like to be picked up.  one i can pick up and actually if he's in his cage, he will climb onto me, but that is becasue i worked with him with treats.. its a bit harder to pick him up if he is out playing, but not as hard as the others.

one thing i so know for sure tho, is go slow, and at her pace.. 

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

TheStoryofHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »

Thanks. I will do that. She's fine with me petting her but as soon as she thinks I'm gonna pick her up, she's outta there.

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:03 AM »

I've had my chins for 3 years and neither likes to be held. One is a little more receptive (although he does squirm after a while), but the other will run away and then kick and scratch if you manage to pick him up, yet he's happy to sit on me when he's out. They have different personalities, but unless you've had them from new born I think they're quite unlikely to actually enjoy being held. It's still great when they sit on you though, and one of mine loves having his tummy tickled, so you can enjoy things like that! Plus, have you had your hands or feet groomed yet? It's so cute and their way of showing that they think you're ok really!

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »

We have two chins. One was pregnant when we got her, the other is her son. . The Little mother is friendly, but not real excited about being lifted, she likes to come to us. The son, however, LOVES to be lifted, held, cuddled  :blush2: ...he is a real sweetheart. I think it may be partly about how long they have known you and partly about what life has shown them to expect from their humans.
We have a largish room, where they can get out separately, once a day, for about an hour (or until they get weary,lol). She loves to jump in our laps, climb on our shoulders, and cuddle in our hair, on her own. It has taken about three months to reach this level of comfort with her, and daily time spent being available for HER choice in affectionate closeness.
On the other hand, we held the little Sir from day one. Not knowing ANYTHING about chinchillas, we delighted in the tiny little boy. He was always so sweet, and even now - at two & a half months old, he is still a sweetheart. He divides his play time between running the length of the room, sailing off of the boxes we stack for him - climbing through the cardboard mazes my daughter builds and jumping into our laps - cuddling, giving a nose kisses, snuggling. He seems to be all about the cuddling some days,lol.
I don't know anything about her past, beyond a few weeks before we rescued her, but she seems to have been loved. She seems to be rediscovering her security with us. We don't push her, we just let her come to us.
Patience and understanding seems to be the key to these little ones. Remember, you may not know how they were treated before you became their chinparent, but they do. I hope you have as much joy and love with your little furry babe as we do with ours.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up