Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Calcium and Vitamin C  (Read 2413 times)

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Question about Calcium and Vitamin C
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »

All we know the chins teeth should be orange in color, but sometimes you may discover that the teeth is turning to light yellow or even white, it is the sign of calcium deficiency. The question is, what is the best way to against calcium deficiency? Normally, how you guys to recover your chin from calcium deficiency? Why I ask about this is because I read some cases of our local chins are dead because of "muscle calcification", so I would like to know the safest way to provide calcium for chins.

On the other hand, there are more and more articles point out vit-c is good for the chin's teeth gum, anyone can share some opinions on this topic??

thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:52:57 PM by heiwa »

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Question about Calcium and Vitamin C
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »

as far as my knowledge, over all - if on a good diet they should be fine..

but when you do need calcium...for whatever reason.. you can -- and in moderation -- do not give to much in any one day...

use calf manna, those bird cuddle bones--break a piece off, not the whole bone, there is calcium powder, you can also use kids tums, about 1/4 a pill a day, mine love the cherry-- just make sure there are no extras in it..

after noel had angel i had a dam hard time getting her teeth back to normal color..  i used quite many of the items above, just not all at once.

good luck..

oh and i heard that vit c helps in the absorption of calcium

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:27 AM »

Yes, cuttle bones work great. Just but kids calcium pills, chewable and cut in 4 peaces. Then you just give it to them daily. Also alfalfa hay has calcium in it.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »

ya know for some reason, i always leave the alphala hay out...   rofl  duh!!! :doh:

thanks court
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:45 AM »

No problem.  ;)
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

thanks all, when my chin is facing calcium deficiency, I also feed with mixture of Animax pellets with the regular pellets, it helps!! Next time when in need, maybe I will also try cuttle fish bone.

But on the other hand, anyone have idea on the main cause of "muscle calcification"??

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »

Yes to the best of my knowledge a good balanced diet should be all they need,for most of them that's true.
Just like us no 2 are created equal, so some may need a little extra now and then. Weather it be from an illness or injury, to stress or pregnancy, some will need a boost.
For those that breed or have multiples it's just as well to treat them all with a little extra. Once you've seen one go through teeth problems you tend to be a little over protective.
Just remember too much is no good either.I work it out by weight with what ever the directions are on the bottles.
Debbie.nl.ca

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:43:15 PM »

Yes to the best of my knowledge a good balanced diet should be all they need,for most of them that's true.
Just like us no 2 are created equal, so some may need a little extra now and then. Weather it be from an illness or injury, to stress or pregnancy, some will need a boost.
For those that breed or have multiples it's just as well to treat them all with a little extra. Once you've seen one go through teeth problems you tend to be a little over protective.
Just remember too much is no good either.I work it out by weight with what ever the directions are on the bottles.

Thanks Debbie again, the way now I am using to against calcium deficiency is feed on Animax Pellets by the ratio 1 : 5 regluar pellets (I don't know rather your side have this or not, it's something like the Calf Manna), it works good and normally the teeth can get back to orange in colour by around 1 to 2 months.

Once again, for Vit-C, do you think that feeding some Rose Hip as snacks can help?? I saw quite a lot of pet owners agree that Rose Hip can provide some Vit-C to Chins.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »

Yes rosehips are great if yours like them. Some of the dried fruit has some too, but I wonder how much??? So I just give a quarter of a vit. c child tablet a few times per week.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »

deb.. do you get the chewable vit c. if so can i get a link from you, i would love to get some of the chewables..[r u in the usa?? i forget]

i just re-read the first post, and i'm curious as to why there were many local chins that died because of lack of calcium [is that what muscle decl.. means]
i wonder could they have been related.. maybe someone was breeding and the chins just weren't healthy to begin with so maybe could it be a hereditary thing.. or am i just being totally crazy with that idea. i don't know... 

i can't say anything about how much rose hips, because you hear some people say just treat once a day, and some people say jsut treat 2 or 3 times a week..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
Pages: [1]   Go Up