News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diet?  (Read 3642 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Diet?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »

it's definitely pine. we don't have forests, they're all plantations, mostly pine (we have some oak etc)

my monkeys are not keen on cubes, they prefer sticks for some reason!

thanks for the advice :)

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »

As previous mention, timothy hay should be unlimited offer, other than it helps wear off the teeth, it also provide fiber needs for the chins digistive system.
And I saw that the Kaytee pellets that you are feeding is a timothy base pellets, normally we feed our chins on Alfalfa base pellets, I would suggest Mazuri or Oxbow, both have very good comments within chin owners, and I saw some chin owners said that Tradition is good and great value as well, I have no idea on this because the place I live don't offer this!!

nattack

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

@ Jmdebb

When my ferret was a wee-little weasel he really had a thing for eating fabric...and a had a ton of cat toys that were all fabric.

It took a long time to find all of the toys... so for a while he had a lot of ferret lax and I found myself always having to check his poop. He's since grown out of that but he does have free range of two rooms including my bedroom (except when the chin is out) so I just tend to keep an eye on it. Never looking for anything in particular...just making sure things look "normal". Just habit I guess :) But there's nothing you're missing.

I thought that Alfalfa pellet is more for baby and mommy chins? Then Timothy is more for the adults?

Well actually now that I think about it...that's how it is for rabbits. Maybe I have things confused.  ::think::

I guess I need a pretty even balance between the two then?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »

okay that makes much sense about the ferret then. wow, that must of been scarey with him eating all that stuff. now that you mention that, one day i saw part of a plastic glove [the disposable ones ] in their poop... why they eat that stuff...

anyways, as for the food. . a good quality food is for all: kits, moms, adults... no extra calcium is needed and its actually not a good thing, because too much can cause problems down the road..  

although, some moms, and maybe it's all moms i don't know if this happens to all moms, but they do need some calcium after giving birth because they lose calcium.. and they might need a little during pregnancy, i can't really offer great advice on that because i don't breed.  i just had a littler or two, and only know what i went threw..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »

I thought that Alfalfa pellet is more for baby and mommy chins? Then Timothy is more for the adults?

Well actually now that I think about it...that's how it is for rabbits. Maybe I have things confused.  ::think::

I guess I need a pretty even balance between the two then?

For chinchilla, most of the pellets are alfalfa base, adult chin should feed on alfalfa base pellets as well, which the Crude Protein content should at least 16% (some pet owners even said should not be less than 18%)!!
Normally, timothy base chin pellet os used for some over weight or elderly chin only, and the Crude Protein content is less than 16%!!

Rabbits and guinea pig is a bit different, adult Rabbits and guinea pig (> 6 months) are feed on timothy base pellets, it's only the normal situation, it can be depends!!

If there is any misunderstanding, experienced pet owner / breeder can point out, because that's the normal practice at my place!! I would like to know if there is any other different opinions as well!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up