News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scales  (Read 1895 times)

trsanimallover

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Scales
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:25:36 PM »

I asked about my female being pregnant  before and many people responded that weighing is the best way to tell if she is pregnant.  Where is the best place to get a chinchilla scale and how much do they cost???   

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Scales
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »

You can buy a postal scale almost anywhere like Walmart.  Just make sure it measures in grams! :::grins::
Brandy

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »

I bought mine from the cooking section of sears.  Its a Martha Stewart scale with a glass top and measures in grams.  It was 39.99 and is a fantastic built item.  I would highly recommend it other than it has the name of MS on it.  I'm very happy with my purchase other wise.  They have them right in store.  Also Bed, Bath and Beyond sells a nice unit but its gonna cost you a few bucks.  Staples also sells one for 34.99 but it seems a little shotty put together but if you need one and that's all you got well it'll work.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »

i got mine from walmart.  i had to order it online tho it wasn't in the store.. it does pounds and grams which is good.. mine has a bowl for the measuring dish, which i find easy to use with a chin that doesn't want to sit still, cuz i just put one in, and kind of cup my hands over the top so they can't jump out..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »

::silly::   Postal scales seem to be the best and the most economical.  There are 28.3495 grahams in 1 ounce  Kits rarely weigh more than two ounces and often barely more than an ounce.  Plan for the future when you buy.

Think ahead ... you not only want a scale that weighs in grams, but in 1 or 2 graham increments, not in 5 graham increments or just ounces and pounds.  You will need to keep up with the kit's weights when they are born.  The loss and/or gain of weight in kits can be a good sign or the first sign of trouble.

Kits are usually born weighing between 36 and 54 grahams ... a fluctuation of 5 grahams could represent 1/7 or about 14% of a kit's total weight. (Looking at it on a larger scale, if a child weighs 100 pounds and suddenly looses 14 pounds in 2 days, this child is sick.)   Kits should be weighed daily, morning and evening, about the same time each day.  If weight is lost between weigh-ins ... it could be that the kit has just weeweed or just nursed ... but if a kit goes down hill 3 weigh ins or 2 days in a row, it's headed for trouble.  A calendar hanging near the cage is a great way to keep up with the fluctuations in weight ... important information, should it be needed.

Hope this helps!

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:21:08 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up