Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP-I AM ABOUT TO BUY A CHIN SHOULD I BUY A PAIR OR ONE??  (Read 3306 times)

swiftpath

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP-I AM ABOUT TO BUY A CHIN SHOULD I BUY A PAIR OR ONE??
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »

i am about to buy a chin in a week or so-should we buy it in a pair or one?  ::shrug::  
 ::silly:: and any other tips could help  :)  ::silly::
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:39:42 PM by swiftpath »

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: HELP-I AM ABOUT TO BUY A CHIN SHOULD I BUY A PAIR OR ONE??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »

they are social animals, so pairs are preferred and recommended. I bought 1 to start, and you could tell that she was lonely. Just get a same sex pair, or you will end up with about 10 chins before you know it.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »

I decided to buy Piper a few weeks after he was born and then convinced myself he'd need a buddy.  Best decision ever.  I found Scout a couple weeks later and he was only three weeks younger than Piper so they're basically the same age.  Piper is the runt of triplets and Scout was an only-chin.  So their dynamics sort of worked out.  Piper was used to not being "top dog" and Scout was used to being the dominant one.  Although, they're kind of equal now on who's more dominant.  I think it varies on how much Scout really cares if he's in charge or not.  Regardless, they have the cutest little bro-mance.  I see them cuddling with each other.  They like to chase each other and play games with each other and follow one another around.  It's absolutely adorable.  I frequently see them grooming one another.  I feel like Piper would be really lonely if he didn't have Scout to talk to and cuddle with.  I honestly have no idea what he'd use as a pillow if it weren't for Scout's soft little torso.  Also, it's so true that each chin has their own personality, because Piper is fun and loves to climb, jump and run, but Scout loves to snuggle and sit in your hands.  I'd be missing out if I didn't have Scout too.  As for tips, I wrote a recount of my experience getting them to live together on this forum.  You should check it out.  I definitely recommend getting two.  Some people have issues getting boys to live together, but a lot of people say it's way easier if they're younger than a year (I've even heard 4 months), but if you ever get a girl I'm fairly certain the boys may kill each other no matter how much they love each other. So you'll need to separate them.  If you are getting a girl though, I have no idea.  I think they're supposed to be easier to get to live together, but some girls are divas.  That is a whole new range of issues lol.  Good luck!

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »

I'v read that it can depend on the chin, but most like to have another one. I bought one to start with and he was lonely so I got him another male chin. There great buds! Its easier it you buy two at the same time because if not to have to introduce them.

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »

In my experience, I purchased my first male 2 years ago...he was healthy and happy it seemed, ate good but started crying at times...I am at work all day and my boyfriend is at home and works nights. So someone is always there yet he still cried. I figured he wanted a buddy and in the wild they do run in packs. Gizmo, our second male, came less than 2 months later and Roo has not cried since. The girls came together and I could not imagine them being separated. I have only had the girls for like 2 months and the only crying they have done was on the day we brought them home as they settled in....they were together and seem to support each other. In my opinion, I would never have one alone again. Good luck on your decision. ;)     

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »

aww, thats a cute story. Thats what mine was doing during the night and he just looked sad. I got another one less then 2 weeks after I got the first one.

swiftpath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »

i think i should probally  just have to either buy 2 of the same gender :P because it does sound that they need some kind of interactions with othe chins. ::silly::     ;) thank you for helping guys :P
(i hope we had created a good decision  :::grins:: )
-Thanks alot
                   ,Dharma

swiftpath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

they are social animals, so pairs are preferred and recommended. I bought 1 to start, and you could tell that she was lonely. Just get a same sex pair, or you will end up with about 10 chins before you know it.
is it easier haveing 2 females?i read on and noticed the males dont get along as much as the girls do :P

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »

;) thank you for helping guys :P
(i hope we had created a good decision  :::grins:: )
-Thanks alot

Thats what we are here for and you are very welcome!

I don't have any experience  with females, but my two males get along great. I tried to insert a quote but i don't think it worked right.

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »

My boys get along great.  It just depends on their personalities.  If you've got two hot shot dominant males then they probably won't get along.  You usually want to have a dominant male and a submissive male.  I think both of my guys are submissive so they're always confused about who's in charge lol.  Also, if you've got a chin that gets easily annoyed and another chin who is super annoying, it's probably not the best combination.  My boys are super cute with their bro-mance so it's definitely possible to have boys living together.

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

I had called a few sources before getting Roo and Brother and they had said that if they are young enough I should be okay...I was LUCKY...they took to each other right away and are the best of friends...cuddling and all that!!! The girls were together and they too are the best of buddies. My vote goes 100% for acquiring two right off the bat! especially if they are litter mates....

RollinEK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »

is it easier haveing 2 females?i read on and noticed the males dont get along as much as the girls do :P

Im not sure if it is easier or not, but my females got along great. I introduced them in neutral territory, they kinda sniffed eachother out for a minuite, then one mounted the other, then they switched, and that was it. Been playing great ever since. Spend a lot of time cuddling too.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 06:23:43 AM »

It's easier to introduce kits, so if you decide on 2 just make sure they are young. Most breeders will put them together for you before you bring them home.
No difference in 2 male and 2 females, but if you get males you won't be able to get females later. Unless you decide to breed and split up the males. 90% of the time, males caged together will fight when females go into heat, no matter how bonded they are.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with owning just one. You become their herd much faster and they will bond with you much deeper.
Even now I keep new chins away from the herd until they have bonded with me.

It's totally up to you, but it is cute to watch 2 interact, and if your away from home a lot then yes by all means get 2.
Debbie.nl.ca

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »

I like having more then one. I was breeding mine and now I have them separated. Males are in separate cages and the females are all together, mom and babies. Father is alone, and another Tucker I have is in his own cage. But this is a decision only you can make. They do like the company of others.

One thing you want to consider is time. How much time are you going to spend with one chinchilla. If you work full time and leave him/her home all day long it’s best to get a pair, same sex. If you have a lot of time to spend with one then you can just get one. They need a lot of attention if kept signally. With my boys separated I spend lots of time with them. More so then the females that (mom and babies) I have. Of course they still get tons of attention.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »

I also start with 1 female at very first, I adopted she at her age 3.5years old, I started to discover she was quite bore by herself only.
Two mouths later, I got my second female at her age 1/2 year old.
At the begining, it seems they don't like each other. But I got them bond well after 3 months, and they are having a harmony life till now.

Bonding takes times, so you should patient enough. My experience is, female and female can get along great (they are a combination of 3 1/2 years and 1/2 year old at that time).
Pages: [1]   Go Up