Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BITING?!  (Read 3193 times)

SymoneSterr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
BITING?!
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »

Well, Max hasn't bit me yet but he likes to chew on my pants lol. I try to move when he does because it makes me nervous.
Do chinchilla bites hurt?

I have medium pain tolerance.

I have broken 3 toes at the same time and didn't shed a tear so I guess that means I have a medium pain tolerance? lol

So has anyone experienced a chinchilla bite, that knows first hand whether or not it hurts?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:21:14 PM by SymoneSterr »

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: BITING?!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

it does hurt a little, not too much. They can draw blood, but nothing serious like needing stitches or anything. Well, it doesnt hurt as bad as a tattoo.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

SymoneSterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »

Well is there any other comparison you have?
As I have never gotten a tattoo! lol

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »

I have served several chins and I think that mostly they won't bit very hard on their owners.
Moreover, the injury they caused, if by level, I think it only like sometimes very get hurt by an A4 paper in the office.
Sometimes, an elderly hamster cannot recognise their owner at the last few days they are approaching the heaven, the hurt is even more painful than what chin does.
That's what I have experienced, but maybe someone have a different version.

SymoneSterr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »

Thanks so much!

swiftpath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »

they dont really bite alot either  ::silly:: but it seems that at times it may hurt small-but not too bad enough for you to :'( maybe if it bites a young sibling. ;)

RollinEK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »

every chin i have ever come into contact with has nibbled on me. i guess its kinda like when dogs " say hello " to eachother. The nibbles dont hurt, just dont touch their treats then try to pet them, they will bite ya then.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »

Hmmm..I have never been bitten by mine hard. They have nibbled and it doe not hurt at all...They like to get after my long nails but I do not allow them too as I do not want them eating nail polish. I think they mistake the color for a treat. Mine have only bitten one individual and that is because she was holding him and he wiggled..she held him too tight AND covered his eyes up...NOT a good idea! Needless to say, I took him away from her...she made him antsy and nervous!  ::tickedoff::

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »

We have a new Mother and a 25 day old little Boy. Although they have neither bitten me, they do regularly fit their teeth around my fingernails (no polish) and take a fold of skin on my hand between their teeth. The little Boy seems to nibble my nails and my clothing, but I have never seem a difference in either when he stops, and I don't feel any pain, just a little anxiety at first. They both nuzzle my nose, and climb around my neck, chin area, with absolutely no bites - even if they lose their footing for a moment!
 I, too have wondered what a chin bite feels like, but I don't think our little Sweetnesses will ever let us find out! ::)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »

Chins are quite capable of chomping good if they wanted.  ::nod::

They only bite as hard as is required to get their point across.

Grooming is a gentle nibbling that tickles and give you goose bumps. Don't be afraid to put your face up close to the face of your chins.
If they want out and your hand is in the way they'll first try pushing with their own. If that doesn't work they'll take your hand/fingers in their teeth and try to move you. Not hard, no pain, just get out of my way. :D

If you were trying to get meds into them or anything they really hated, they'd bite you hard enough to make you jump and say a ouch. They could keep up this annoying and somewhat painfull attack all during the process. Though only getting slightly harder, not bringing blood but definitely leaving a mark.

Now if 2 chins were in attack mode and you reached into grab one you could end up with a nasty slice and blood.
Would they ever go savage and try to tear the face off you like a squirrel? I doubt it, can't see it happening.

So see they bite as hard as required and no more, so don't pee them off  :D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up