Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think he needs a friend...  (Read 3581 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: I think he needs a friend...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »

I know a lot of people would disagree with me but I'm pro neutering...
I searched for a year to find a vet I trusted with Chong but he's fine now and back with him mum and two daughters. :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »

Do you remove the Dad for the birth? How long does he stay away? I read that I wasn't supposed to remove ANY of the chins for the birthing/raising of the kits...that everyone helped the babies. ...? Is this wrong?

::silly::  I give my daddy chins a full 10 days away from momma once the kits are born.  Just before they are born, if I know the due date, or if I can see mom will deliver soon.  You don't want breedback ... this is when daddy gets momma pregnant while she is still nursing the new litter.  A momma's natural resources will only spread so thin.  She need all her vitamins and such to take care of herself and her kits without having to share the resources with yet another unborn litter that is trying to develop.  When a momma's resources are spread to thin, it can hurt mom, the new litter and the unborn litter ... making all suffer.

Momma chin goes back into season shortly after the kits are born ... this is the main reason for separating them at this time.  Daddy chin (closely supervised) can go in to visit the kits while momma chin is getting her free run or playtime outside of the cage each day.  This will keep both momma and daddy familiar with each other's scents and not have to worry about breedback.  Daddy chin can be a big help raising the kits, once it is past the 10 day period of separation. 

Note:  Debbie and I use a different number of days for separation ... this does not mean one is wrong and one is right ... just different.  We each go by what we have found to be good for us.

As a general rule, momma chin appreciates daddy chin's help, but not always.  I have found over the years, that momma chin usually know best ... follow her intuition.  I have one momma chin that will allow daddy back when she has male kits, but when she has female kits, she will not allow him back until she has weaned the kit/kits.  I have one pair that the kits will nurse momma, then run to snuggle with daddy afterwards.   ::)

Some daddy chins have been known to kill the kits, but it is rare.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »

I am pro neutering too, we've had great success here with our exotic vet.
But I have read some sad stories, and always like to let folks know there are risks.
Any time you have to sedate them is a risk, and I have had several sedated over the years that never had a hitch.
Debbie.nl.ca

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

Just for you Jo Ann:

Dewey's in a ferret nation with the center taken out...lots of ledges for leaping. He sleeps in the little hay tunnel and runs in the chin spin.

Daisy is in a super pets "my first home" cage for chins. Also plenty of ledges, chew toys, a sleeping hut, and a silent spinner wheel. (She's smaller so she does fine in the 12 inch wheel - Dewey needed a 15 incher cuz he's a big guy!) She has a hammock too...Dewey doesn't use it. They each have a chin chiller. The plastic in Daisy's cage (2 green ledges and exercise wheel) is supposed to be chew proof...and so far she hasn't bothered chewing it. She prefers the lava bites and apple wood sticks.

Daisy's cage is temporary...as I would like to get her in with Dewey in a few weeks (or months!) I kept her isolated for a couple days, but she was eating, drinking, pooping....perfectly. She looks and acts pretty healthy and normal. (Unlike Dewey, he's weird! LOL Dewey doesn't chew much of anything and won't eat hay ....at least Daisy chews her toys and eats her hay like a "normal" chinchilla! hehe) Dewey runs out of cage in the room and "visits" her. Daisy does her free run in the bathroom.

That loos like the same wheel that I was given with Xochitl and Sorley when I rescued them and I had to take it away because Xochitl started chewing it. I caught her doing it and checked it and she'd gotten it scraped a bit... Just so you know and can keep checking it. If Daisy doesn't like to chew or is picky it should be okay... Sorley will only chew certain things (his log hut and cardboard tubes).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up