Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair ring question???  (Read 1042 times)

Ari and Ingram

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hair ring question???
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »

So this is really embarassing but I really need to ask and see whats up. So today I noticed Ingram was messing with his boy stuff and when I looked closer he had actually pulled it out a couple inches. He almost seemed to be biting at it. Is this a sign that he might have a hair ring or was it simply entertainment??? Now if it is a hair ring, is it possible he will take care of it himself or do we need to go to the vet? I was just slightly caught off guard I have never seen him do this. Thanks

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hair ring question???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »

Well you can do this yourself. You can use KY jelly or I use bag balm. Take a look at the penis and you may see fur around it, if so take it off. Now you have to check under the sheath as well. So it helps if you get someone to help hold him while you do this. Pull the sheath back so you can see his bits and if you notice a ring gently pull the ring off with ky jelly. If you can't get it you may have to use tweezers but be very careful. Also when you are done make sure to put his bits back into the pocket if you know what I mean. If it hangs out he can get an infection. Just pull the sheath back down.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Hair ring question???
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »

Amazing how far out it comes eh!!!!!
Not to worry he was cleaning, most do a perfect job all by themselves.
You may see a dark ring through the skin, close to his body if there's a hair ring there.
And yes you'll have to pull it all the way out to get at it. Most just roll right off.
I have only see a couple. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up