Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Kitty Ricochet Has Lost Her Sight  (Read 2573 times)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
My Kitty Ricochet Has Lost Her Sight
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:59:20 AM »

So, I had suspected for some time that my 17 year old kitty was going blind.  I noticed that her eyes always stay dialated and look kinda cloudy.  Well, the other day, she walked face first into the wall.  I took her to the vet and they said she had cataracts and if we couldn't afford the really expensive surgery, we should put her down.  I asked if she was in pain and he said no.  So, I said thanks for your oppionion and took her home.  She eats fine, finds her litter box fine, and finds her bed just fine.  I want her with me as long as possible but don't want to be selfish!  Did I make the right decision?

Thanks!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: My Kitty Ricochet Has Lost Her Sight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »

You absolutely did!!  We don't put down people for blindness and animals have way better instincts than people do.  If she were an outside cat you might have trouble but inside she can adapt.  I was just watching a show yesterday about how to make life better for a blind dog.  They suggested placing a strongly scented candle of a different scent in each room. (Never light the candles)  This way your pet will know which room she is in by what candle she smells.  The house had a few steps inside and hardwood floors.  She had them place small rugs at the top of each set of stairs so the dog could feel the rug and associate the step down.  Of course she suggested never to move around the furniture and be careful about where you set your things so you don't place an item in her set walking path. 

I had a blind chinchilla that knew her cage perfectly.  She would run up and down her 3 levels just as fast as any chinchilla and you would never know she was blind to look at her.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »

I agree whole heartedly, and think your vet is bonkers  ::nod::

Put her down cause she's blind, I've never heard of such a thing. ::)

My chin Waverly has cateracts since birth, but I'm pretty sure he has a little perifial vision in one eye. An injury at birth, so he hardly knows a difference. He's my baby, and done just fine thus far. He's almost 11.
Debbie.nl.ca

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Those are some super great ideas!  I think I will do the candle thing as she tends to get turned around in the living room.  There is carpet in the bedrooms, hardwood in the living room & dining room, and linoleum in the kitchen, bath, and laundry room.  She walks pretty slow to avoid running into things.  I put catnip in her bed so she can find that really easy.  Just kinda breaks my heart!  My brother built some stairs so she can find her way onto the bed.  The only thing I don't like is the other 2 cats seem to know that she is in a weakened state and try to intimidate her at times so I have the water bottle ready!!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

you most certainly did.. i can't believe the vet said that.. no offence but i think its time to find another vet.. my vet would never say that just because of blindness..

now if she was ill or in pain, then yes .. but she is blind.. she's used to where you live, she'll adapt and learn how to get aroudn without bumping into things.. so many cats and/or dogs go blind with age.

she will be just fine.. i'm soo glad you didn't listen to him..  :::grins:: 

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:06 PM »

just to let you know my grandmother has a cat that is blind! she does move slow and has run into a couple walls a few times but she can find her way around, jump on to the end tables and beds, she even walks up the flight of stairs to the guest bedrooms when someone is staying there to sleep with them at night! she is totally fine!!! Your vet was crazy to suggest that just because she has cateracts! if she had other health issues as well as the cateracts then i could see my vet suggesting that but just because of being blind? NO WAY would I have put my cat ( or anyother animal in my house) to sleep just for being blind!! You made a good choice to let her live out the rest of her life rather then end it just because she can't see!
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up