Poll

How long till she gives birth?

Labour
- 0 (0%)
Birth
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When is my chinnie due to give birth?  (Read 7723 times)

xdancer468x

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
When is my chinnie due to give birth?
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:18 AM »

I bought a hetero beige female knowing that she could possibly be pregnant. She is 3 years old. To date she has gained 140g which is a definate sign she is pregnant. Upon buying her i noticed her nipples were already red and elongated., I have had her for just over 6 weeks now. I have been able to feel the babys move and kick for about a week now. And it is very noticeable that the kits are moving when she lies down. She spends most of her time lying on her side and this past week has been on the floor of the cage lying flat or on her side.

I have done lots of research and am fully prepared for the birth of her kits as i am going into breeding chinchillas as a hobby. I have 2 pairs of chinchillas, one female is due in mid June and the other two as far as i know have not mated. But as i bought this female already pregnant, i just wondered if anyone with experience breeding chinchillas can estimate how long it may be before the delivery. I am very anxious for the new arrivals!

Also a lot of websites contradict about signs a chinchilla is in labor and what time of day it is likely to occur. Anyone have any ideas?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: When is my chinnie due to give birth?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »

Here is a link to article I wrote that might be helpful:
http://www.huggablepets.com/huggablepets/preg.shtml

Each pregnancy is different so there is no way to know for sure.  Typically the nipples begin to grow during the last month, but if she has bred before her nipples might not have gone totally back to normal so this could make her seem farther along than she is.  From the sound of it though I'm guessing she is due very soon and I would suggest you not handling her at all until after the babies come.

Chinchillas can have babies any time of day.  I have often read early morning but over my years I can't say that has held true for my herd.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

Some exciting eh!  ::bouncyball::

Yes shouldn't be much longer, and I too have had them born at any hour of the day with out any problems.
I've heard if it's an evening delivery it could mean problems, but I have not seen that either.
Debbie.nl.ca

xdancer468x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

Thanks for the replys. Have felt some strong kicks today! She has at least two kits in there. I have ordered a heated mat for the cage today which should be here tomorrow in time for the birth of the kits. Hopefully it wont be too much longer!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »

Why a heating mat?  I wouldn't suggest that.  Chinchillas overheat way too easily.  Mom will sit on the babies and keep them warm.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

xdancer468x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:20:14 AM »

A lot of people have recommended it, and it is on many websites suggesting a heated mat is used for the best chance of survival

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:32:24 AM »

I would think that would only be a worry in wire bottom cages in very cold temps.  Are your chins in your house?  I keep our breeding room in the 50s during winter have never lost a baby due to cold.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Jamie when I was going through my email. ::think::

They won't need a heating pad. I'd be afraid they'd get over heated. Once dried off they have their fur coats.
I have seen them in an outbuilding here in Newfoundland during the winter giving birth.
And my chin room never goes about 55-60 , all I do is give them a house and a fleece blanket. By the time the kits are a couple of weeks old they throw out the blanket. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

xdancer468x

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »

Ok thanks for that, seems like a lot of people have contradicting views on heated mats. Two people told me just yesterday on another forum to put it in a week before birth and two weeks after.
I weighed Sandy, the chinchilla in question today and she has only put on 1g since i last weighed her a whole week ago.
Is this something to be concerned about? Im pretty sure i can still feel movement

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »

Never heard that one before, so be very cautious. I assure you it's totally unnecessary.  ::wub:: I'd never steer you wrong.
They are wearing fur coats, and Mom will keep them warm with hers too.
Would you mind sharing what forum with us? Even message me if you'd rather.I'm probably a member just don't visit any more.
I used to go to them all, but  there is always so much controversies I just stick with the ones I know.

If she is getting close to delivery she will slow down on gaining, and may even loose a few grams the week before birth.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:35:12 AM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

xdancer468x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »

Thats really good to know, i was worried that maybe the kits had died or that she was ill.
The other forum is chinformative. To be honest im new to the whole breeding thing, but want to learn as much as i can. Im not doing it to make a profit, because i spend hundreds on my chins and wouldnt make a penny of it back. I just think there such adorable animals, their my babies!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

I totally agree!  Even when I was at my largest with 130+ animals there was no profit.  We just breed because we truly love the animals.  It is good that you are asking questions.  We were all new at this one time too so we certainly don't mind sharing what we know now.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »

profit

what's that  ;D

And you would not believe some of the silly and wrong things I"VE done.   ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

xdancer468x

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »

I dont think there is a profit to be made regardless of the amount of chinchillas you own. Im glad people out there love them as much as i do. However i think owning so many chinchillas would leave little time to comfort and love your chinchillas. I always give them 5 hours plus out of cage time a day to allow them to explore and get plenty of exercise although they do have wheels in their cages.

My heavily pregnant chin is still hanging in there. I give her one raisin a day now to give her some energy. She spends all her time sleeping on her side or cleaning her genitals. She happily lets me gently hold my hand up against her stomach. Kit movement is very obvious and kicks are much stronger now. You can see them moving when she lies on her side.

I read somewhere that you can feel the kits move between 90 - 110 days of pregnancy. If this is correct then she should be de to give birth any day now. Does anybody know how long before the birth you can expect to feel the kits move?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »

5 hours a day, wow !

I can't believe she hasn't popped yet.

All chins are different, some can hide pregnancy well.Others couldn't hide a green pea, LOL
I had 2 born on Thursday, and just had a feel on wendsday, and thought yup she's close. Only to find 2 little bundles of fur the next day, 54 and 49 grams, but you'd never know to look at mom.
Now my Leona I can feel the kits a good month before, she's due in a week or so. I can see hers rolling around in side her. ::nod::

Waiting is the worst ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up