Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: running into things  (Read 3322 times)

Cynth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
running into things
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »

I let my chin out in a new room a couple days ago.   He ran around fine and when he went to get back into his cage he ran at full speed right into the cage.  Like hit his nose and missed the opening completely.  He ended up with a bloody nose.  I felt so sorry for him.  Do chins run into things?  I haven't noticed anything different about him lately.  He thinks he can jump higher than he actually can too. 

CritterLady

• View Profile
Re: running into things
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

Aw poor baby  :(   My baby chin was in my arms and I was putting her back into the cage when she decided to take a flying leap and bam right into the cage bars, ricochet back into me and finally into cage.  She was ok, but boy did I get the look like hey ma thanks for letting me whack my head!  I think all animals have misjudged and gotten a head bump.  I also have degus and one day one little guy decided to jump onto me when I didn't expect it and we bumped faces.  Fine for me he has little head, a little more bump for him into me! So I hope your chin is ok and just remember sometimes we hurt more for them because we love them so much ::nod::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »

Unfortunately chinchillas do a lot of bumping into things!  They run almost completely from memory and so when you let them out to play they are prone to do this.  Try not to move the furniture in the room they play in or they will run into it full force!!  Usually they do really well but every once in awhile they will misjudge and then BAM!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Cynth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »

thank you for the encouragement.  I did move him to a new room.  I didn't want him to get too hot and we are coming into warm weather.  it is cooler downstairs.  I hope he recovers soon.  Poor little guy.  He barked at me today when I let him run around and stayed in the corner.  Maybe he was having a memory of running into things.  kidding.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »

Yes I'd try not moving stuff in my chins room, but sometimes you just gotta. It takes them a couple of bumps to notice. ::nod::
He'll get over it, when his nose heals. ;) Poor baby  ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »

hehe like everyone has said, chins do tend to do this. they don't have the best daytime eyesight. my biggest boy Liv rarely ever runs into anything because he is so used to the room and comfortable with his surroundings. basically the same goes for my other big boy Indy. The only thing Liv does alot is misjudge his jumps and will not jump high enough, like you said. They basically use their own judgement of depth to make a jump, which isn't very accurate always. I think its adorable though. I got two new little boys and we let them out for a little bit in the bathroom last night which is obviously a new room to them and the little pink-white boy ran into my leg about every five minutes! He was fine, just seemed a little disoriented   ::) I wouldn't worry though, he'll just need to get used to his new room! hope his nose heals well  ::kiss99::
Pages: [1]   Go Up