Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good place for cages?  (Read 2532 times)

Srqt

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Minerva <3
    • View Profile
Good place for cages?
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »

Hi,

First off I would like to say that this forum is by far the best place I have found for both talking about and learning about Chins, you guys are full of great info and personality so I am really glad I found this place  :::grins::

Now on to the reason for posting, I have a roomy 3 level cage for my girls currently and they seem to really like it but  I am not crazy about having a wire floor so I have been looking for a new home for my babies.

Here is when I run into my issue, I can not seem to find a suitable cage ANYWHERE! In all my searches I have found one cage that I loved but it was on a site that only ships to the UK :doh:. Everything else seems to be either way too small or infested with plastic.

If you guys could give me any help I would be so grateful!

Thanks!
-Joe
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:12:27 PM by Srqt »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Good place for cages?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »

::silly::   Hi Srqt!
        Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum.  (Thanks for your complement!)  We're all chinchilla lovers and like to help/share information with other chinchilla lovers!

You might want to check out this site: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/  They have some very nice cages and their cages are chinchilla safe and reasonably priced.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »

hi and welcome

you can also try qualitycage.com  and the ferret nation 142.. alot of people use teh fn142, but you need to take the plastic out and change it for a metal pan made by bassequipment.com  or what you can try with your cage is to get a get a piece of safe wood and put it on the bottom.. or maybe you can just get a metal pan by bass equipment.  they make them, so if that is the only thing you don't like, try for a metal pan to put in.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

reuben2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »

Hi just browsing around, is it bad to have a cage that has like wire levels for them?? are they supposed to be all solid flooring?? I had no idea this was that case if it is! ::shrug::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »

Hi just browsing around, is it bad to have a cage that has like wire levels for them?? are they supposed to be all solid flooring?? I had no idea this was that case if it is! ::shrug::

Wire is ok as long as it is 1/2 x 1/2 inch squares and no larger.  The problem is that when chinchillas can't get a rest from the wire it can hurt their feet.  Its important to either have a level where they are right on the shavings or offer wooden shelves and/or stone chillers for them to get on.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »

I have a cage that has wire shelves, but they are easily removable :) It's probably best to replace them with wood shelving, but as Jaimie said as long as they have some places to get relief, it is ok. My floor is wire and I've kept one wire shelf but replaced the other levels with a wood corner shelf and some ledges and a hammock.

I'm also on the prowl for a new cage, and have done enough shopping around to realize that Martin, Quality Cages or the Ferret Nation are the best ways to go. I think I'm going to go for the ferret nation and make the necessary mods, mostly because I like that the doors open all the way. I'm waiting to see if I can successfully introduce my chins to each other (if they don't get along, is it possible/practical to house one on the upper level and one on the bottom of Ferret Nation with the levels closed off, or will they hate that?) and/or find a slightly used one on Craigslist.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »

I'm not familiar with the ferret nation cage enough to answer but I'm wondering it there will be a good area to put shavings under the one on top.  You wouldn't want him pooping and peeing and the one on the bottom. I'm thinking the bottom guy wouldn't be to happy about that.  ::tickedoff::    :2funny:

I have seen some pretty great deals on cages on craigslist so I think that would be the way to go.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Jamie, no I don't want them peeing on eachother. That would be bad  rofl I would order a solid bottom tray from Bass equipment to separate  the two halves from eachother. I'm asking from a territory standpoint if the chins, who hypothetically don't like eachother, would be stressed out by knowing that their nemesis is bunked directly above or below them.

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »

I have the ferret nation cage but all levels are open for them.  Not a good cage if using shavings or carefresh.  I use beach towels that have zero nap so they don't chew on them.  Makes it easier for a spot clean every day too.

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »

i use litter boxes with my fn142s and i have the middle open.. lots and lots of shelves...  i dont' know if you had it sectioned off if they would stress out if the one under or over was one they didnt' like.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »

If they can't get at each other it should be fine.
you might catch them sniffing and trying to make contact, but as long as they can't they should adjust.
Debbie.nl.ca

Srqt

• Minerva <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »

Thanks for the advice :) I am going to go with the "chinchilla townhouse" from the link that Jo Ann suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up