Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Tooth Problem  (Read 1073 times)

mav_rick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Possible Tooth Problem
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »

Hi Everyone!

For the past couple of days I've been noticing that Lucy hasn't been eating normal. She still eats her food, but cannot bite down with her front teeth (or that's how it looks). When I try to give her a treat, she will taste and lick it and then throw it down, unless we break it into small pieces, then she will eat it. I've noticed she hasn't touched her hay, but still eats her pellets(Mazuri brand)and she still acts normal. Her eyes are bright and clear and when she comes out for play time she bounces around.

I haven't noticed any drooling to go along with the tooth problem, so I'm not exactly sure what else could be going on. I have noticed a decrease in the amount of poops, and the ones that she does pop out seem to be semi dry so I've been using a syringe to get water/cranberry juice down her to make sure she is getting enough fluids until I can get her into to see the vet. She has the Edstrom's Water Buddy type water bottle where she has to use her teeth to make the water come out, so I don't think shes getting sufficient water if she does have a tooth problem - hence the hand feeding. I've also tried to give her yogurt just in case she might be a little constipated, but she doesn't seem to enjoy it all that much. I'm going to go tonight to pick up a ball water bottle and some pedialyte and see if that doesn't help for the time being.

Does anyone think that this sounds like a tooth problem or something else? She has an apt to see the vet on Thursday.

Thanks!
Shannon

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Possible Tooth Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »

It does sound like she may have a mouth problem.  It could be anything from teeth, to something stuck in her mouth, to an injury in her mouth.  I am glad you are going to a vet today.  Let us know what he finds.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Possible Tooth Problem
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »

Yes keep us posted.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up