Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Healing Attack Wounds, Fungus, Mites; Input?  (Read 2230 times)

luvears

• Appreciation points: 0
  • "Tillamook"
    • View Profile
Healing Attack Wounds, Fungus, Mites; Input?
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »

Have appt. w/ my exot. spec. vet next Wed., but does anyone have any pics for reference I could refer to or link, or personal input to see what I may be dealing with?  My 4-5 mo. old male, (petstore, no breeders anywhere near my area that I could find) has clusters of scabs down his back. No bald patches. His ears have healed "slits/gaps", would this be from attacks from cagemate at wholesale breeder? Or mite issue?  (he was housed alone for 4 days only at petstore.) I gently removed just (1) of the scabs, very easily, it's thick, hard, and it "crumbles" if pressed hard w/ nail. Only down back in tiny clusters. Whitish underneath. No pink or red skin. Nothing black. Sound like fungus, ringworm, mange mites, or healed attack wounds from cagemate at wholesale breeder prior to shipping?? Or, sound like really dry skin?? Who knows what the munchkin was exposed to climate wise beforehand ...sadly.   I'm still having him checked regardless "incase" it's fungus/ringworm, I can't have that circulating in my home with all my other exotics. This is my only chin though.  Thanks for any input, advice, photos anyone can offer as reference, comparison.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Healing Attack Wounds, Fungus, Mites; Input?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »

It sounds like fighting to me.  I have had chinchillas fight (male pairs that suddenly don't like each other or male/female pairs that get rough in breeding)  You will certainly see puncture holes and tears n the ears.  Since they fight by jumping on each others backs and biting you will get little puncture wounds there too that will scab over.  No real fur loss but you can feel the scabs with your fingers.  Usually there is no real heath issue but every once in awhile you could get an abscess (where one becomes infected) so a quick once over by a vet is a good idea.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

luvears

• Appreciation points: 0
  • "Tillamook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my concern and so thoroughly!!! Much appreciated ;)

I was truly hoping it was healed attack wounds and hearing that from a reputable source does ease the worry much! I'm still keeping the appt. I have made for him, but I feel a little more rest assured until then. "Thank you!"

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »

Do let us know  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up