Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help making friends  (Read 1074 times)

reuben2009

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
help making friends
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

So Reuben and "BeBe" as the new baby's name has slowly become have been mingling a little each day, i let the boys play together and they last a good 20 minutes and then as soon as it gets feisty i get scared and separate them again... but then they sit nose to nose in each of their cages (which are side by side).  So today, since i was off from school, i wanted to try to let them stay together all day. Usually Reuben tries to mount Bebe and then they run around, but today, i let them in there for an  extended period of time to "fight it out" because they weren't being violent just chasing... but then i noticed that Bebe is now trying to mount reuben, and then i realized he was in that "spraying" position, and the fleece was damp when i touched it after, so he may have peed! Does this mean they will never be friends?  :'( what can i do to help them be friends? ::shrug:: TIPS PLEASE!!! help!!!

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: help making friends
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

noo peeing does not mean they will never be friends necessarily. peeing is sometimes just a defense mechanism when they feel its needed or a way of "marking" something. did you notice that he tried to go to BeBe afterwards and clean him off or anything? wait is BeBe a male or a female? otherwise, be patient  ::nod:: they will go about it at their own pace but if they do start hurting each other, then you may need to keep them seperate forever or atleast for a while. dont worry! see how it goes

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: help making friends
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:19 AM »

You might want to check the one that sprayed to be sure it is a male.  That is usually a female move to ward off early mating.  (although a few males have been known to do it too). 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up