Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SICK OR PREGNANT FEMALE  (Read 2102 times)

johnjiii2004

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
SICK OR PREGNANT FEMALE
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »

Hi everybody i am new to the forum. Let me get straight to the point i have a pair of chinhcillas i have had them since november 15th and i put them together when i got them so they could breed. Yesterday i went to take care of them and the female Lilly was not right. she sits there all slumpy and tired looking. i did find some hair outside and inside the cage. I also found a wax plug in the cage to. so i need help i dont know if she is pregnant and this is why shes acting like this or if she is sick. Please help i do not want to loose my baby girl!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: SICK OR PREGNANT FEMALE
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »

A plug is certainly a sign of breeding so mark your calendar 111 days.  How old is your male and your female and how big is your cage?  It sounds like it might have been a violent breeding.  You might need to check your girl for any injuries.  Will she take a raisin?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

johnjiii2004

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »

ok but this is the second time i have found a plug, but the first one was found about a month ago and they have been together for three months as of two days ago, i have all farm animals and i dont know about chinchillas but all of my other animals if the female dosent want to mate it dosent matter the male will still do it. The male is a year and 5 months and the female is a year and a month. yes she will take a raisin and tonight she was running around more and using her wheel again?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »

Sounds like she's all tuckered out from spending the last few days trying to get away from him.
Some females can keep them from mating, it could take a few months for her to let him. She's still pretty young. First timer females are not quite sure what all the fuss is about. He'll find it easier after she has her first litter. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »

::silly::  If they are both fertile, I would count on kits in a little over 100 days.

::think::  Now, you say you saw a plug last month and one this month ... there may be a bit of a problem ... if both breedings 'took'. 
Chinchilla females have two and can be pregnant in both sides at one time.  If a female gets pregnant in only one side, she will go back into season at the regular time and can get pregnant in the other side.  This is called superfoetation.  The problem here is that the due dates are to far a part and when the momma chin goes into labor, more than likely, she will deliver both at the same time.  The second one will probably be a still birth, or will not live more than 24 hours ... as a general rule.  The way to tell which one is which is to note the size of the two kits ... one will be much larger than the other.  Rarely is the second one large enough to survive, and/or if it does survive, it will usually pass away within the first year because it was not fully developed before being delivered.

I will post a picture of a pair of kits born to a pair in my herd.  Both were born the same day, from the same momma ... but they were conceived at different times.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up