Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I read this... is it true?!  (Read 11130 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I read this... is it true?!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »

Oh this didn't look like that. It was white in color, and mushier looking (those look like wax, hers looked more like a white booger!) I thought it was normal for them to have white mucus come out while in heat...? Maybe I should make an appointment for her.
I'm looking for a new vet anyway, could be a good chance to get to know one. My current one isn't bad....but he's SO BUSY it takes DAYS to get seen (and if he sees you "on emergency" he charges an extra $200). Plus I was really disappointed in his care for Schroeder. My 2 yr old white mosaic got diarrhea and quit eating. I called the vet and he just told me to give him vasoline. A week later I took Schroeder in to SEE the vet, and he just told me the same thing! He felt him and said he felt constipated and said I should give him "cat lax" (petroleum jelly).  I ended up on this forum board, desperate for better advice... bought like 3 different kinds of laxatives and vitamins + "chinchilla life line" and several other "natural" laxatives...(juices, almonds) .... was force feeding him for 4 weeks before he passed away. To this day I don't know what happened. I don't know if he had a pre-existing disease or if he just ate something he shouldn't have or maybe got an infection? No clue.
This is my 2nd vet already though. I've only been a chin parent since last June...but my 1st vet told me to feed Dewey "roughage" since he doesn't eat hay. I found the new vet and thought he was great during a wellness visit...but obviously he didn't come through for us when somebody got sick! Good Exotic vets are hard to find!!!

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »

I set up my new scale today. It's hard to get an EXACT reading because the chins wouldn't stay still...they were kinda wiggly, so the numbers were bouncing around...I just averaged it out.
Looks like Dewey is about 550 grams
and Daisy is about 420 grams

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »

::silly::   Most of the older breeders (25 to 50 years of breeding) will tell you that a female should be a minimum of 500 grams before she is put into breeding, 600 to 800 grams would be even better.  I've found that works out pretty good ... maturity and size give them a good start on carrying kits and delivering them successfully.  Size also refers to size of the birth canal ... the birth canal size comes with age/maturity and weight as well as bone structure.

As a general rule, the female is the larger of the two.  When a small female is mated with a large male, there is always a chance of the kits being to large for the female to deliver.  Something you might want to think about.  I will not mate a large male to a small female. 

You always want to strive to improve each generation ... the larger the size is one improvement that is very important.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:49:41 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »

I have certainly thought about this and would prefer to keep Daisy a few inches away from Dewey until she is AT LEAST 500 grams. Dewey lost his previous mate during child birth (and 1 of his kits too)... I'd hate to repeat the experience for him. (This was with his previous owners - they had their hands full with other chins and hand-raising the 2 surviving kits, and decided to give Dewey away to a good home so he'd get more attention. He came to me and I've been trying so hard to make sure he has a good life).
I weighed Daisy again this morning and the scale actually stopped for a moment on 428 grams. =0) Yay! She's gaining!

chinchillachateau

• Love those dust bunnies!
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Chateau
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »

How old is she?  Most of my kits are 400 grams by 4 months...  I am not an older breeder as I have only been breeding and showing for 4 years but personally, I don't breed any females under 600 grams and of all my breeding females, my average is around 800 grams (My lightest is ~650, most are 700-800, and a couple are 1000-1100 g).  Breeding a female who is too small can potentially lead to some serious problems.  If her pelvic opening is not large enough, she will be unable to safely deliver kits.  I don't know how old she is but if she is over a year and only 420 grams, she most likely will not grow much anymore and not a chinchilla I would consider breeding. It would be a huge risk to her life.

Reading about your vet's advice for Schroeder, I would definitely look for a new vet.  Cat laxatives are not good for chinchillas.  A chinchilla who is in ileus (a slowdown of the digestive tract) and in danger of going into G.I. stasis should not get those oily cat laxatives.  Not only do those lipid-rich cat laxatives slow down gastric emptying, it also contains a lot of sugar (corn syrup and malt syrups) which can cause bloat, a bloom of Clostridium bacteria, and further G.I. upset.  Once a chin develops bloat along with G.I. stasis, it is a very difficult road back to recovery.  If they don't get frequent handfeedings, motility drugs, subcutaneous fluids (and water offered via a dropper), abdominal massages, and simethicone (infant gas drops), they often do not recover... it is an around-the-clock treatment, often for up to a couple months until they are completely better.
Sumiko
Chinchilla Chateau
Board Member of CA ECBC

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

Daisy is about 7 months old. I think. I got her at the beginning of February, and the guy I got her from said she was 6-8 months old. She seemed small to me, so I assumed she was only about 6 months... maybe 7 months by now.

I think I need to figure out a way to get more accurate scale readings because the scale numbers jump around too much to really know and the chins don't sit still, they are constantly jumping off!

I think what I am going to do is get a pot from the kitchen with a lid, and weigh that by itself, then weigh the chin inside the pot and subtract the weight of the pot with from the total. I HOPE a lid on a pot will keep the chin from bouncing away!
 I think I have been coming up with light weights because I could swear the first time Dewey went to the vet, he weighed like 800 somthing....and there is no way he has lost 300 grams....so I'm thinking it's inaccurate and I need a better technique!

chinchillachateau

• Love those dust bunnies!
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Chateau
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »

Squirmy chins can be hard to get weights on! If the chin is in a small container (or even his dust bath!), he might not be as squirmy... (you could get his weight when he stands still between rolling, haha).  With my scale, I just plop my chins on it and use my hands to keep them on the scale.  Some chins are so squirmy though, that I have to put a small box on the scale, tare it, and then put the chin in the box.
Sumiko
Chinchilla Chateau
Board Member of CA ECBC

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »

yes that's what I have to do to most of mine, put them in something that's been tared off first. Just hold my hands around the sides of them till I get a reading. I use a small  plastic bucket.

Yes she seems a little small and young to put into breeding yet. I'd wait. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »

So....using the pot with a lid helped keep them still and get the scale numbers to STOP bouncing.... turns out their weights are even lower than I thought!
Daisy is 400 grams even
Dewey is 531

Do I have dwarf chinchillas or what?! Are these weights "normal"? Is there a healthy way to help them BOTH put on weight?

Like I said, I could have sworn Dewey weighed over 800 grams at his first vet visit. (Maybe that scale was off or I heard wrong?) It seems impossible he could have lost 300 grams because he LOOKS the same size... but for so long I wasn't weighing the chins. I guess it's entirely possible that he lost weight the first few weeks he came to live with me....(He saw the vet within the first 2 weeks of being here)....maybe due to stress. He may have also lost weight a few months later when he had a cold & needed eye drops.  Maybe it's possible he lost weight after Schroeder died....(not necessarily mourning him, but just the natural difference in his surroundings)...or maybe when he went through his depression before I got Daisy, he lost weight. I have no idea!
Guess I will keep a much closer eye on their weights from now on! And if anyone has any healthy ways to help them gain...let me know! Dewey is kinda tough because he doesn't eat hay! He only eats his Mazuri pellets, and occasional treats. One of his FAVE treats is shredded wheat. He also loves papaya. But he's not big on raisins or apples, hates rosehips! Yesterday I gave him a cheerio, and he took 1 bite out of it and then threw it out of his cage!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »

I would think if he lost 300 grams you would notice. I think you heard wrong or their scale was way off.
Most males are good at 600 grams. Some chins are naturally smaller.
Though some of us have bigger animals, that doesn't mean the smaller ones are unhealthy.
If he seems normal in every way don't worry.
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

Okay. Thanks for your reassurance! :)

trsanimallover

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »

It depends on when you breed them.  For your answer no it is not true. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up