Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This doesn't bode well...  (Read 1144 times)

DarkMoonSlayer

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
This doesn't bode well...
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »

Merlin has a pale gunk accumulating in the front corner of his eyes (tear duct area). I've heard that malocclusion will cause eyes to weep or have discharge but as far as I can tell Merlin has no other symptom of malocclusion. He's eating fine and isn't drooling and is (other then his depression) very energetic.

I'm wondering if it could be dust form his bath that got in his eye, but I'd think that would go away relatively quickly and his eyes have been like this for 2 weeks now (they aren't getting worse or better).

I know I should take him to a vet to be looked at but I just spent most of my money on another vet visit for a different pet. Also I don't like the local exotics vet(with chinchillas, he is great with ferrets) and the next closest one is a good 60 miles away.

If he isn't having other symptoms is it safe to wait on the vet visit until next month when I get paid again? Having just lost Gandalf to malocclusions that were inoperable I'm a little worried that Merlin is following a similar route.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: This doesn't bode well...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Was Merlin related to Gandalf?  If they were brothers malocclusion is very possible, however there are many other causes.  Sickness can also cause it which could be cleared up by a round of meds if it is caught early enough.  You are correct that dust would have cleared up by now.  Since he has already shown this for 2 weeks I wouldn't wait until next month.  If he is sick he will not live that long without treatment.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
Re: This doesn't bode well...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »

I have one chin, Libby, who has a tendency to have this white gook show up in her eyes from time to time(oddly enough, it's usually only her right eye). I flush it out with a Bausch and Lomb Eye Wash($5 from the grocery store).I would suggest doing this at least twice a day til it's gone. As a precaution, I clean her eye after dustbaths, whether it needs it or not.
If this eyewash doesn't do the trick, it's possible that your chin has a bacterial infection(conjunctivitis). In that case you would notice that there was a fair anount of pus, and inflammation, and the eye would appear to be glued shut. A visit to the vet would be an absolute neccessity, and you'd get either an eyedrop or topical antibiotic(my vote goes for the eyedrops).
But since your chinnie's condition hasn't worsened over 2 weeks, and since he's eating well and not drooling, I'd think this was an eye irritation.(just my opinion, though). Clean it out, as too much irritation can result in an infection. Since dustbaths are often the culprit here, consider cutting down on the frequency of dustbaths, and cleanse the eye after each dustbath.
Lori
Pages: [1]   Go Up