Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: can i put other animals in w/my chinny? and play ideas  (Read 4567 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: can i put other animals in w/my chinny? and play ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »

It's all in the sound and the reward to follow.  ;)
Just like tapping on the dust bath, they know that sound and come running. Or shake the treat dish, and watch them all come to the doors of the cages.
I can go into the room any time of day and they don't move, but once dust hits they know if I'm there it's play time and all get up.
They even know their turns, and some don't even look at me until I get close to their cage.
I started the timer when my numbers started climbing so they all got the same length of time out playing. When the timer went off they knew their treats were waiting in their cages. It took no time for them to catch on. Now they teach each other by watching and listening.
They are pretty smart that way.

{The animal channel is not one of them ... tomany threatening noises.}

:D

Find chins sounds inline and play for them,too funny!
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »

k thanks i might do that! ill have to find something he likes more than rasins though, i give them to him everytime i go up to the cage and he comes to see me, or when i leave :P

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

Yes you can't give him to many raisins, but ya know he would be just a tickled with a Popsicle stick.I split up pieces of pine and have them there all the time, so if one is looking for attention as I pass buy I'll give them a piece.
If he's used to you giving him something everytime your close to him, you'll have to find others things besides food too. LOL
Treating works great for training, but yes there has to be a limit. Maybe even 1 cheerio, or 1 sunflower seed. A crumb of toast or the corner of a cracker.
Wean him down to a scratch, he'll love that too. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

yeah i tried a popsickle stick and he nibbled for a bit but then got bored so they really dont work and he does like sunflower seeds i might try cherrios and i have been weaning him slightly but hes just so cute!!!
its been amazing seeing his personality come out and now that we've pretty much figured each other out(and theres minimal scurring around trying to catch him under the bed and mostly failing) we really get along great and hes become my destresser:P so thanks for the advise and info it has helped!!!!

Hippo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »

Dusty often plays with my one cat, Merlin.  It often involves Merlin chasing Dusty, but if Merlin won't chase him, Dusty will try to get him to.  He'll go up to him and either nibble on his ear for attention, or try and pounce on his back!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up