Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage bar chewing  (Read 1744 times)

gina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Cage bar chewing
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:06:45 AM »

Okay, my 2 boys are driving me crazy! As soon as my lights go out at night, they start up with chewing on the cage bars! Along with "digging" into the wooden floor I made them to rest ontop of the wire mesh on the iside of their cage. Nibbles continually "digs" in the corner and chews on the cage bars everywhere like he's trying to get out. Makes me feel like a bad chinnie mom.  :( Also moves around all the "furniture" in his cage. Both are getting along really well, and have playtime out of their cage everynight for an hour. Is this normal? I got wood hanging from a bar in there, lava bites, wood pieces, and their shelves and hut made of wood to chew on.  Whats up? They bored? Should I get a wheel? Any ideas? Please help..
...Aren't they they Cutest when they're Sleeping?... Gina :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Cage bar chewing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:08 AM »

Chinchillas are like children...they are constantly going to be looking for something to get into.  A wheel might be a great distraction just be sure you get a quiet one.  Check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2286.0.html

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »

A wheel would help burn some energy if they use it.  It's all up to them if they figure it out and like it.  I would also reccomend maybe adding a small stuffed animal to the cage.  Make sure to remove any plastic and not filled with "beads".  However, if they start tearing it apart, you would have to remove it.  My female doesn't chew on the bars but she will rearrange the entire cage quite often.  The stuffed animal has cut down on that some.

Good luck!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »

As soon as we turn the light off for bed all the chinchillas go crazy. :)
Chewing on their box, rattling the handles on the cage jumping up and down on the noisy parts... you get the idea. We now have a habit of giving them 'distractions' just before we turn the light off. This is either some nice fresh hay, a sprinkling of oats or something similar. This keeps them distracted until we're fast asleep. ::nod::

Obviously now if we forget to give them the distractions they're even worse than they were before. rofl

Hippo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »

Lemmiwinks sometimes chews that cage bars.  I give her a chew toy, and she knocks it right off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up