Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some advices on my 8 year old male chin..Please!!  (Read 2514 times)

betty

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Need some advices on my 8 year old male chin..Please!!
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »

My Totoro (name of my chin) has been very healty for the past 8 years, never have any problems with his teeth or anything. About 2 months ago, Totoro became not very active and not eating much with musshy stinky poop so I took him to a vet and the first vet said there is nothing wrong with him and his teeth, just the empty stomach and ask me to feed him with critical care. He weight at that time is about 474g(in November). A week later( weigh about 430g) , totoro is not getting any better, I have to force-feed him since he is not eating on his own, took him to a different vet, she is concern about his weight, gave me some pain killer and some medicine to boost up his appetite. In early December, Totoro is still not eating on his own, we suspect it's his teeth because he reaches his paw to his mouth frequently while I feed him, grinding his teeth very loud and I see powders in his pellet tray. I switch to a different vet and the vet took some x-ray and blood test. He said Totoro's teeth are good, very minor misaligned in the back but no infection or anything. The blood result shows Totoro has anemia and he is not sure what to do but advice to spend more quality time with my chin.

As of today, Totoro weights about 390g (has been the same weight for the past 3 weeks) He is chewing but not eating hay, not eating pellets (see some powder sometiems), wood to grid his teeth, 100% depends on the critical care which I feed 3 times a day and about 15 g each time, poop no long stinks but is covered with mucus. Yesterday I noticed that his lower teeth color has turned white from the healthy orange color. Can anyone please tell me what's going on with my chin and what should I do next?

The first two vets that I took him two are familiar with small animals (recommend from the california chin website) Should I bring the x-ray and the blood test result to them and have them look at my Totoro again?

Thank you so much for reading this and please help me if you can.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Need some advices on my 8 year old male chin..Please!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »

Did any vet ever do a fecal test for Giardia?   

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

betty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »

So I took him the vet again this morning and she said is very unlikely he has giardia but she will send it to lab for the test.  She will sedate him and do a detail check on his molars on Monday as well, she think it might be the molars not straight.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »

Awww the poor little darling. Sure sounds like tooth problems to me.
The least little problem can cause teeth to wear incorrectly, and over time cause more problems. If he's not eating than the parasites will go to over load.
So now he's dealing with teeth problems, giardia, and dehydration.
His little gut is empty and now he can't take food, anorexic.
Have you tried him with yogurt, and a pediolite?
If there are crumbs than he's trying.
Mix a cup of boiled water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt an 1 teaspoon of sugar, chill and give him this in a second water bottle.Even try syringing it into him.
Give him a bit of yogurt to replace the good bacteria In his gut, and continue with the criticalcare.
Will he attempt to eat a raisin? You can mush more of the CC into a raisin and see if he will try that.
I just keep trying everything until I find something that works.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »

::silly::  How is Totoro?  Any better?  What did the vet say?

::wave::   Jo Ann

PS
unlikely he has giardia but she will send it to lab for the test.
Fecal testing, especially for Giardia has to be done within the first two minutes after the chin drops it ... when the poop is exposed to air and cools, the Giardia die/become dormant and are hard to see.  The mucous covered smelly poop is almost a sure sign of Giardia.  Giardia is an opportunistic parsite that comes out when a chin is weakened or ill and can kill it if not addressed promptly.

A chin that is dehydrated and/or stopped up will quit eating because the intestines are full and he no longer feels hungry.

I would try a mixture of dried papaya (or green papaya enzyme), grind up each of the following: 1t dried rose hips, 1-2t dried wheat and oat grain, 1capsule acidophiles (refrigerate after opening bottle), 4-5 Tablespoons dry hay (or critical care), a few pieces (1 teaspoon)of crushed cuttle bone ... mix together (dry) in a blender ... allow all particles to settle before opening the top of the blender ... use a small amount of mixture and a few drops of pediolite (or Debbie's formula above for water mixture) and a small amount (pea-size) Nutri-cal (found in cat and dog section of pet store): mix just enough to make a few raisin sized paw-size food balls.  Store powdered mix and pre-made balls in separate airtight jars in the refrigerator.  Give them to him as often as he wants them and as many of them as he will eat.  If you can not get the acidophiles, use yogurt instead.

If there is a possibility of a blocked intestine, give a few pieces of almond slivers/slices equal to 1 almond.  At no other time do I suggest or recommend giving chinchillas a nut of any kind.  Feeding chinchillas nuts over a  period of time can give it a fatty liver, which is not a good thing.  The reason I mention this is because diarrhea, mucous covered feces and/or dehydration is often followed by dry small feces and/or impacted or blocked intestines.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:40:46 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

betty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »

I hate to say this but my totoro passed away last Monday.  My stupid vet used the injection anestisia and unfortunatelly my Totoro did not wake up.  I did some researching on this, gas type of anestisia is a lot safer for chinchichillas. 

I just donated all my chinchilla stuff to Cal chin rescue in Menlo Park earlier today, saw lots of great chinchillas there but we don't think we are ready to adopt another one yet.  To all the chin owners out there, make sure you find a good chinchilla vet for your chin.   

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »

I am so sorry to hear about Totoro.  Please know our thoughts are with you. :hugs:

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:43:35 AM »

::cry222:::     I am so sorry to hear about Totoro's passing.    During the 8 years you had him, you were blessed with much love and affection and returned the same to him.  It is hard to handle when a little one leaves us, but remember ... he's crossed over the rainbow bridge and is playing freely with the many who have gone before him.

It was very nice of you to donate his things to CA Chins, they do good research on chinchillas and help many.

You may not be able to to think of getting another chin for now, but remember, you will not be replacing Totoro, nothing can ever replace him.   But you would be giving a new little one a loving, needed home and giving yourself a constant reminder of the love and laughter you shared with Totoro, by sharing that with a new little one ... when you are ready to do so.

:hugs:  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

betty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:43:15 PM »

Thank you for all of your kind words.....We did have a great time in the past 8 years...he is actually going on 9 year old this March....
May God bless all the animal lovers out there!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:26 AM »

Awww Betty I'm so sorry to hear of Totoro's passing.I know how bad it feels believe me. :hugs:
We tell ourselves all the right things, but only time will ease the pain.
I sure do hope you find another some day, as no 2 are alike.You'll find a different place in your heart for others in the future.
Nothing can erase the 8 years with Totoro, and he will live in your heart forever.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up