Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Baby Boy with some Girls  (Read 3701 times)

Mystic

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Baby Boy with some Girls
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »

Hello there, I got a new male chin yesterday called Bobby, he's an adorable little Ebony Violet who's about 4 months old. He's movied into a cage on his own which is next to a bigger cage with three females in. We're slowly introducing them, the cage is about 5 inchs apart at the moment and they talk a little but no violence which is good. I'm not sure if we'll ever breed them but we want that possibility there because we may well do a year down the line, so we'd like them to get associated. It would be nice if we can eventually keep the cages pushed together permanently, so even though Bobby won't ever be able to get to the girls, he'll have contact with them. Is this a good idea?

This takes me to my question, we've let the two of the girls run around in the room outside Bobby's cage, and we noticed with one of the girls (Frankie) he was very interested in her and run up to her when she was near the cage and started digging at her when she was near the cage. This looked a little violent but not full out malice so I wonder if this is maybe because Frankie is in heat and it's part of wanting to mate? Bobby has pretty much no reaction to the other female (Heidi) so I wonder if it's something to do with the breeding?

Talking about breeding, if we do breed in the future it will be with Heidi and Bobby. Bobby is a Violent Ebony and Heidi is a Mosiac (Her parents were an Ebony and a Wilson White). Would anyone know if they're a good match or what type of baby chins there likely to make?

Thanks for your time! Any answers or tips you may have would be awesome! =)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: New Baby Boy with some Girls
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:28:07 AM »

::silly::  That decision is up to you as to breeding a pair with that many mutation colors in it heritage.   I would not put them together, to many mutation combinations ... you could get a combination of any 20+ possible different colors combinations, none of which would look as good as a pure chinchilla of that color. 

Having said that, it is not so much the color, but the quality/health that concerns me.  The genes in a good pure standard gray would strengthen the genes of the mutations.  Breeding mutations to mutations generation after generations tend to produce smaller chinchillas that are not as healthy as they would be if they had been matched to a good blocky pure standard gray.

If the cages are 3 to 5 inches apart, I would not put them any closer ... chins that are less than 3" apart have been known to breed between the wires.  Also, if one chin's tail would happen to fall into the cage next to it, the tail may end up being shorter than it was to begin with.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Mystic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »

thanks for you reply!

We have a standard grey female (frankie) who bobby has seemed awfully fond of since he's been here, if they were to breed is it possible to say what kind of kits they would make?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »

::silly::  What colors are the parents (and grandparents, if you know them) of the standard gray female? 

You say Bobby is an Ebony Violet.  What colors were each of the parents (and grand parents, if you know them)?

My Little Jamie

Mystic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:09:49 AM »

For Frankie unfortunatly I know nothing about her parents or grandparents, she was a pet shop chin so we never found out.

As for Bobby we got him from a Breeder and foolishly forgot to ask what mutation his parents were, however we have a picture of them, this is them

To my very untrained eye it looks like a Hetro Beige and a Standard Gray.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:24 AM »

::silly::
Insert Quote
Hello there, I got a new male chin yesterday called Bobby, he's an adorable little Ebony Violet who's about 4 months old. ...
:-\
To my very untrained eye it looks like a Hetro Beige and a Standard Gray.

Here you have made two different statements about the same chinchilla.  What color did the breeder tell you that Bobby is?  I would contact the breeder and ask for a breeding card with the information about the parents and grandparents.  Any reputable breeder would/should give you this.

If the standard gray is a pet store chin, you have no idea of it's background colors or health wise.  A pure standard would rarely be found in a pet store.  I would question breeding it at all, without at least a good checkup from a qualified vet.  A heart murmur or malocclusion could be in it's back ground.  If it is, it could be producing kits that have no future, other than breaking someone's heart that would love it.   ???

Breeding is a very big responsibility.  It might be a good idea to learn a little more about it, before jumping into it.   ::nod::

My Little Jamie

Almighty Chinchillas

• Crystal Brooks
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Almighty Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »

Is the pic of your 2 girls? Frankie & Heidi?

If so the one on the left looks Violet & the right looks Standard.

That said.....I agree w/Jo Ann......U never wanna breed chins w/out a proper gene history. I'm not saying u can't find a breeder chin from a pet store, some breeders sell them to the pet stores, BUT u don't wanna risk it.

Crystal
When faced with a problem always remember: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »

The picture is of Babby's parents yes????? Bobby is an ebony violet carrier??????
They do look like a hetero beige & a standard, so the question is were did the ebony & violet gene come from.

You can check out color combos here,
http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/

But remember it's a ball park and you need to know the colors in the line. Like if they are carriers and such.
Like Jo Ann said breeding colors to colors too often will dilute the colors.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »

::silly::  Question, please.  What color is the belly on the chinchilla on the left?

If the belly is white, more than likely it is a hetero beige or a violet.

If the belly is the same color as the fur on the top, I would say it has 'some ebony' in it, maybe.

Photos can be very deceiving ... even different monitors may show different shades and/or hues on the same photograph.  This is why I said "beige or a violet".

The proof is in knowing the heritage.  

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up