Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small hard stool?  (Read 2907 times)

KelNic0424

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Small hard stool?
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »

I have a 2 1/2 chin and lately his stool has been small, sometimes very small and dry. I recently relized I was feeding him way to many treats between rasins and walnuts and sunflower seeds (I know :o(  I recently stopped giving these to him and just have tim hay/alfalfa and his pellet mixture. But after reading some of these posts about bad treats and constipation/dehydration I'm wondering what I could do at home to help him. I dont have alot of money for a vet visit right now if I could help him at home that would be great

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Small hard stool?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »

Did you stop the treats before the small poops happened or after?  What type of pellets are you feeding?

Chinchillas can get dependent on raisins if they are given a lot regularly.  If you suddenly stop it can cause constipation.  Also a blockage in the gut can cause constipation.  Has your chinchilla chewed on plastic or anything like that?  Has the amount of food and water he takes in changed?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »

Yes if he's used to the raisins you'll want to wean him off them.Cut back slowly, and make sure he's drinking lots. Even give him a piece of fresh apple. Change to craisons, dried cranberries. They don't seem to have as much as an effect as raisins.
I'd cut out the walnuts all together  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »

i don't think alot of raisins are good for chins..

have you noticed if his food intake has changed at all?  [food and hay]  if it has , that could also be the problem. before i went back to treating with alot of sugary raisins, i would check that first.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »

::silly::   I agree with Jamie and Debbie ... A sudden change in diet is not good for a chinchilla ... slowly weaning him off or down to one or two raisins a week, is, in my opinion, the best way to go.  I give mine cranraisins and papaya for the fiber and vitamins they each have to offer a chin.

Nuts can not be properly digested by chinchillas ... their systems are not made for that.  Over time, the natural oils from the nuts will usually cause a chinchilla to have a fatty liver, which can, and often will, be deadly for a chinchilla.  Removing the nuts from his regular diet is removing fiber ... but ... hay can be used to add fiber back to his diet.  A chin should have fresh hay in his cage at all times.

Small dry poops may often be a sign of dehydration or illness.  If need be, you might consider feeding him water with an eyedropper several times a day. 

Yogurt contains the flora (natural live bacteria) needed to keep his digestive system going properly ... in most cases.  I will often give my little ones yogurt with blackberries, or strawberries or blue berries in them.  Dannon puts out an individual size yogurt container ... this will help in the costs.  I let mine have as much as they want, if there seems to be a problem ... and often as a preventative about once a month.

The amount of liquids being taken in by your little one can also affect his/her health and poop.  If you start seeing the outline of his spine, dehydration is almost a definite under most circumstances and should be addressed properly, a.s.a.p.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up