Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would your responce be???  (Read 7197 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
What would your responce be???
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:17:31 PM »

::silly::I would like to find out how each of you would respond to this letter:
Hi JoAnn-
   My name is S. I live in M and am looking to adopt (probably) 2 chinchillas. I'm not sure where you are located. My cell phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX. If we can talk and it's feasible I would love to come out to you on Saturday with my son and see about adopting 2 new additions to our family.
  One of the reasons I am thinking about getting chinchillas is that I'd like to bring them to work/school with me. I work with "At Risk" teenagers in an afterschool program. I wondered how chinchillas would do as far as traveling with me to and from work once a week. Not to mention how they would do in a classroom full of often noisey kids. I have a lot of experience with animals myself and want to make an educated decision.
   Thanks so much. I can't wait to hear back from you. My son and I held our first chinchillas yesterday and I dreamt about them last night. I love and have had ferrets, and I love that chinchillas don't smell:)  I'm not for getting animals from pet shops and always look for good breeders. I want well cared for, hand-held pets that will be good companions for myself and my 9 year old.
     Talk with you soon,
             S

Can't wait to hear what your responces would be!   :D

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: What would your responce be???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:29:54 AM »

I get a lot of questions like that.  Many teachers wanting classroom pets and that sort of thing.  Although I have heard of several success cases, Its just not right for most chinchillas on the whole.  There is a girl on another forum who takes all of her chinchillas to work with her every day.  I can't think of a single chinchilla in my herd that would be comfortable but it works for her and her herd.  Maybe because she gets them at a young age, or maybe because she takes them all and there is safety in numbers.  Who knows!  There is always the exception to every rule.  But as a breeder I would be concerned about selling one into that sort of environment.
Poor Charlie freaks whenever I take him out of the bedroom, much less a car ride to a new place, and he one of the most outgoing chins I have. 

I can see why they would ask, though, (not knowing much about chinchillas).  Who wouldn't hope to snuggle with one and take it everywhere you go.  You know there isn't a person on the board who wouldn't carry their chinchillas in their pocket everywhere they go if the chinchillas would let us!  :D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:07:25 AM »

I agree.  I would definitely take my babies with me everywhere if I could.  But they would never tolerate it.  It is encouraging thought hat woman said she wants to make an educated decision...so my advice would be to give her an honest response about how chins would react to the types of activities she is describing, and explain to her that if she is looking for an animal she can use to educate children, that chins are not the best choice for a noisy classroom.  Then see how she responds.  It may be that she'll say "oh, I didn't know that," and still want one as a pet in her own home.  And it sounds like otherwise she would provide a loving home, all she needs is a little education about chin care and personality.  Just my opinion.  :)

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 02:19:17 PM »

I think you should suggest "a chinchilla learn and vist" before she adopts, If she does end up adopting. By the way what does "at risk" Teenagers mean?
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:48 PM »

::silly::Hi MissKitz,
"At Risk" can mean several things ...
(1)  They are/could be "turn-key" kids (No parent is at home when they get home from school ... they are pretty much on their own, unsupervised.)
(2)  They are/could be "problem children"  (constantly in trouble)
(3)  They are/could be abused children that need extra guidance and help.
(4)  They are/could be living in a dangerous situation (alcohol or drugs in the home).
(5)  They are/could be involved in gangs.
(6)  They are/could be in trouble with the law.
(7)  They are/could be unruly/hard to handle/rebellious/misunderstood.
I am sure there is much more to it than that, but this gives you a general idea, at least this is my understanding of "at risk" children/teenagers.

Jo Ann

What would you/could you use as an example of in comparison of putting a chinchilla in that environment with loud unruly teenagers?

IE: Putting a chin in that type of a situation would be like doing/putting _________ to/with ___________.
::shrug::

I think, by what y'all are saying, I went a bit over board in what I said to her, but it was what I felt.   :blush2:
"That would be like boarding a nun in a _______ house ... total shock  ... physically mentally and emotionally.   :blush2: 
I did suggest gerbils and explained they are very social and the perfect example of an exelent family.  They mate for life, hubby helps with the kids as well as each generation helps to raise the next generation born.  They can be taught tricks and enjoy being with people.   :::grins::

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:01:16 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:01:52 AM »

:D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »

I love it too Jo Ann,
I hear what you are saying, but I tend to be a bit more explanatory.
I would have told her they are not a good choice for that situation. But I will remember your choice of words forever. :2funny:
Debbie.nl.ca

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »

Ok i understand, I (my opinion) WOULD NOT place any Of my chinnies with teenagers who Could be dangerous and could kill a chinnie if mad.  ::tickedoff::   An example  would be like putting a Rabbit to A Stero. If that helps.
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 11:57:47 PM »

::silly::Hi Debbie,
    I did go on to explain in more detail about chinchillas and why they would not be a good choice for that situation, but are good for families to keep in their home.  ::nod::
    But the thoughts of a poor little chin in a room full of loud rowdy teenagers going into shock and keeling over was a bit to much for me!  I can see him huddled behind a cabnet shaking while hands grab at him from both sides.  ::scaredspeachless::  Fur slipping at each "I almost had him that time!"  He'd look like a half plucked chicken at the end of the day.   :-\

::howdythere::
Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up