Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for a new owner?  (Read 1089 times)

PieChan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help for a new owner?
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the forum, and a brand new chin owner! I live in a college dorm, and in October another girl from my school gave me two chinchillas that she couldn't care for anymore. She actually wasn't caring for them-- her sister was, and she didn't handle them very much. Before that, they lived with another girl who gave them away when she moved to New Zealand. So needless to say, they've been tossed around a lot. One is two, and one is four, but no one remembers which is which. After a lot of handling and patience, Dionysus (Or D, as I call him) became very easy going around me and I could hold him with no trouble at all. Hermes is still pretty jumpy, but he was better then he was before.

When I came home for Christmas break, I brought D and Hermes with me. Ever since then, I have not been able to touch them. D, who is normally the friendlier of the two, will attack my hand. He's drawn blood a few times. And Hermes is more skittish than ever. I know that moving must have been very scary for them, but they didn't act this way when they moved into my dorm. The only theory I have is that they can smell my cats and this makes them nervous. Does anyone have any advice at all for my situation? I want my boys to be happy and feel safe, but I certainly can't leave them at school whenever I come home. I don't want to go a whole summer without being able to touch them, but I don't know what to do. Any help is much appreciated! :D

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Help for a new owner?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

It very well could be the cats.  Have you let the cats into the room to explore?  Of course not when the chinchilla is out, and I only recommend this if the cage wire is small enough to keep paws out.  We got a new chinchilla and I let the cats come up to the cage to check him out.  (My cage wire is 1/2 x 1/2 inch) I know that my youngest cat would kill the chinchilla if given the chance so the cats are locked in the bathroom before I ever open the chin cage.  But, it gave the chinchilla a chance to see the cats.  He now loves to play with the cats through the wire.  He runs to the front of the cage whenever they come near.  He doesn't realize they want to eat him.
Perhaps seeing the cats through the cage will help your chinchillas adapt as well.

Also, have you changed your soap, shampoo, perfume, since coming home?  This could also cause them to confuse you with a stranger.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Help for a new owner?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »

::silly::    Welcome to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas!

Yes,  your little one has been orphaned to many times already.  I try to make sure none of mine have more than two homes ... mine and their new human parents ... it is very hard for them to adjust.   Chins do not like change.

There is something that has changed that they are not happy about.  Chins rarely change that drastically without reason.  Are there any warning signs before biting?  Like trying to run away, hiding, fussing at you, trying to push your hand away, spraying you or a firm nip not breaking the skin?   These are all "warnings" a chin will give you before they take a bite that will draw blood.

CAUTION:  ALWAYS wash your hands and face before handling your chin ... their eyesite is not that good, but their noses are!  They may smell something on your hands that smells "tasty" to them ... they may think the smell is a treat and want to taste it.

Be very careful and take note of anything that happens just before and at the time the little one bites you ... you need to find the common denominator and eliminate it.  Food on your breath, a particular outfit, change in washing machine detergent or softener, noises around you.  TV or radio program with the same or similar sounds.  Tossing something near the cage (like clothing or an object), this can startle them.  Strangers to the chin.  New deodorant or perfume?  Sometimes it can be the simplest of things you would normally think would not bother an animal or chin ... but can do so.  Just the scent of the cats may upset them ... there may have been a cat or dog in one of the previous homes that terrorized them.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up