Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Girl Juno had her 3rd litter 3 days ago.  (Read 2476 times)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
My Girl Juno had her 3rd litter 3 days ago.
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »

I've had my breeding pair for quite some time and have been really fortunate so far.  Baby proofing is a learning experience for sure but finally got that mastered!  It's really funny, when the babies would escape in the past, my female cat would come and get me and take me to the baby.  So sweet.  Well, there's no esacaping possible anymore!  Woo hoo!

My concearns:  I knew something was up when Dad was "guarding" the house that morning.  Peeked in and saw the tiny tail and knew what was going on right away.  I got Dad out right away into his own habitat and proceeded to see if the birthing was over yet.  To my astonishment, there was 4 kits!  I couldn't believe it.  3 boys and 1 girl, go figure.  3 of them are doing really well but the runt is stuggling a bit.  Not sure if it is getting enough milk or not.  If he is still lethargic tomorrow, should I maybe supplement some milk for him?

I am a very proud grandpa but want the best chance for all 4.  Any advice would be wonderful.  Picture is just after birth.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:41:28 PM by cusunfireguy »
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
Re: My Girl Juno had her 3rd litter 3 days ago.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

The quads are doing much better this morning.  They are bouncing around like they are nuts!  Glad to see it!

Steven ;)

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »

I'm very sad to say that the runt of my litter died last night.  Very sad day.

Steven :'(

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »

::silly::  Has the mom had quads before?
If she does not have enough milk for all, she will often abandon the weakest one so that the others may have a better chance to live.

You might want to get some goat's milk and a glass eye dropper.  The eye droppers (I usually have at least two on hand) may be purchased from most pharmacies.  Goats milk is usually found with the canned milk or baby formulas.  It's a bit expensive, but worth every penny.  Once opened, store in a glass airtight container in the refrigerator or in a plastic container in the freezer.  The milk needs to be room temperature.  Do not warm in the microwave ... the microwave kills all the good stuff in the goat's milk.

Videos on how to feed can be found here: http://luvnchins.com/ChinsIISignsTrouble.html  It may take a while for them to load, but you can click on the arrow to replay it.  Make sure you feed the largest kits first ... this gives the smaller/weaker ones a chance at more of momma chin's natural chinchilla milk.    I usually hang a small bottle of goat's milk on the cage also (about 2 ounces at a time) ... if momma drinks some of it ... that's OK ... it's good for her, too.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »

We knew it was a bit sickly and kind of expected it.  I will go out today and get the goats milk.  Thanks so much!

Steven
Pages: [1]   Go Up