Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi Everyone!  (Read 1430 times)

Steph5386

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone!
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »

Just wanted to say hello. I am really looking for a place where people know and love chinnys. I have 3 little buddies. Dusty and Raisin are standard grays, and Houdini is ebony. Currently my little Raisin is very sick (possible tooth problem) So I really hoping for support and encouragement. I'm scared what will happen.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Hi Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

What is Raisin doing or acting like to make you think he has a tooth problem?  Some of the same symptoms can be a warning of different problems.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Steph5386

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »

Hi Jo Ann,

I actually posted his story under the health tab and explained some of what is going on. I think teeth because of his drooling, matted chest, strange sounds when he was trying to eat, and now lack of eating or nawing on anything. He also developed CI stasis as a result of not eating and is on 4 diff meds, yogurt, critical care diet, and pedialite. He'll eat soft food like banana's and dried papaya. We go to the vet friday for x rays under anasthesia and possible teeth filing if that ends up being the problem.

Let me know what you think?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »

::silly::  If it is tooth problems, prepair for many vet visits and lots of $$ spent ... and worst of all ... a major heart break eventually ... unless it is the front teeth and the vet can teach you how to keep them trimmed at home ... but, that is only a delaying tactic.   It depends on how and where the malocclusion is ... if it is above the gum line or below it.  Above the gumline, he can be helped over a period of time to have a relatively pleasant life.  If the malocclusion is below the gums, it is more humane to allow the vet to let him go to sleep now.  Below the gum line is involving the tong, the eyes and even the brain.

We had one chin that was born with only two teeth (the front two bottom teeth) and he never developed any other teeth.  Not having other teeth, he could not grind the two on other things to keep them worn down to proper size.  His mom kept him going by feeding him food she had chewed herself for about 5 or 6 months.  After that, I learned how to keep them trimmed so that he could close his mouth and gum his food.  I had to trim about 1/4 inch off his two teeth weekly.  He seemed happy and loved the extra attention for well over  5 years, then his health began to decline.  He lived for close 6 years before he gave up.  Loosing him was especially hard because we were so close, but I could not let him suffer once he no longer wanted to eat and began to loose weight.   I would not trade the time we had together for anything, but I could not try to force him to stay either.   He's passed over the Rainbow Bridge and is in chinnie heaven now, with all those who have gone before him.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up