Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a new cage  (Read 3002 times)

Pankakes

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
Buying a new cage
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »

I already posted this some where else, but I'm planning to order tonight because its the only oppertunity I really have:

Oh, I've been looking into buying a new cage so I think this would be a fitting place to insert this question:

Is there any big difference between PVC coated and galvanized cages? I noticed the PVC costs a little more, but is it really worth spending the extra money?

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.cagestore.com/pd-prevue-ferret-cage-485.cfm
but I would repace any plastic parts because I don't like my chin chewing on the stuff. I definitely want to get him a bigger cage (his current one is 20 x 39 x 36) and I can't really afford to spend more than $180....   I have looked at the ones on martinscages.com, but I'm not sure If Id want to get the one there that is 48 high, or make one, or find a bigger one else where....

do you have any suggestions?

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new cage
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

Sorry, no advice here, but I have wondered about this cage as well. It seems like a good compromise to the Ferret Nation cage which seems just a bit too huge to me. The iffy thing about it is that the pan on the bottom is plastic, although i think it does have a wire grid. I'd really like to see it in person but I've never seen it on display anywhere.

If you do get it, let us know how it works out! My cages are extremely sub-par as well and I would like to get a new one, especially after I acquire a second chinchilla. Money is not really the problem, it's just that all of the top recommended cages have their flaws.. Ferret Nation is HUGE and heavy, and has no tray whatever and also needs several modifications to make it truly chinchilla friendly. Quality Cages' Mansion and Martin Cages' Highrise also have very shallow trays, and to be honest, they're kind of ugly. I'm not a big fan of the 1X1 gridding for all of the walls. I like the 1"x3" like my current cages and Ferret Nation have.

So anyways, the Prevue cage *looks* good to me from the pictures and descriptions, but I haven't seen a lot of reviews for it from chinchilla owners. If anyone does have this cage, please chime in because I'd like to know as well!

Pankakes

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Okay, OS I orderd the cage last night, and Its supposed to be delivered tomarrow or thursday. When I t is then I guess I can tell you about it ;)
I hope its good, becase I just spent all my money on it D:

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:17:05 PM »

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.cagestore.com/pd-prevue-ferret-cage-485.cfm
... but I would repace any plastic parts because I don't like my chin chewing on the stuff. I definitely want to get him a bigger cage (his current one is 20 x 39 x 36) and I can't really afford to spend more than $180....   I have looked at the ones on martinscages.com, but I'm not sure If Id want to get the one there that is 48 high, or make one, or find a bigger one else where....
do you have any suggestions?
Replacing the plastic shelves is a must ... glad to see you are planning on that already.   :::grins::
The spacing of the wire 7/8" by more than one inch is not safe for your little one ... when running and playing ... bouncing around ... a leg/paw could get caught and your chin could be injured.
... Martin Cages' Highrise also have very shallow trays, and to be honest, they're kind of ugly.  I'm not a big fan of the 1X1 gridding for all of the walls. I like the 1"x3" like my current cages and Ferret Nation have.
 Martin's Cages for chinchillas may not be as "pretty" as you would like them to be, but, they are safe for your chinchilla.  Martin's Cages "for chinchillas" have the wire that is appropriate size: 1/2 inch by 1 inch and they offer drop in or pull out trays (for easy cleaning and safety for your little one).  Some of them even have flip top lids for easy cleaning.   There are other sites that offer chinchilla-safe chinchilla cages, but Martins was one of the very first that did their research and made them  properly.

Please keep in mind ferret cages are made for ferrets, not for chinchillas.  Any wire that is larger than 1/2" x 1" is not safe for chinchillas.   As they bounce around the cage, their hind leg/legs could easily fall between the wires and break a leg or hip, often throwing them into shock and death, or if you are lucky, they survive and you have an expensive vet bill and they have lots of pain.   OR, especially if you plan on allowing your chin to have little ones.  A new kit can fall through/fall out of the cage when the wire is 1 inch by 1 inch or larger.  If the kit is not killed in the fall, it could chill and die, starve, be trampled by you or another family menber, or found by another family pet.

Please do not get upset for me being so blunt, but this subject has been covered in many threads on this website.  When a question is ask, be prepaired for the answer ... it may not always be what you would like for it to be.    :-\   We are all here to offer our opinions and share our experiences.  I am sure there are some that have cages that are not made for chinchillas and have done well with them ... so far ... but, personally, I do not take the chance with my chins.   This particular subject is a real stickler for me.  If you leave a rollerskate on a stairway long enough, someone is going to have a bad fall down the stairs ... same is so with cages that are not safe.

::wave::   Jo Ann

P.S.  Which is more important looks or safety?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:15:27 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up