Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurt Chinchilla  (Read 2501 times)

dmbfan128

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hurt Chinchilla
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

So a few weeks ago one of my chinchillas got his leg cut pretty bad when a friend moved a table not realizing he was underneath it. I took him to a local late night animal hospital where they glued the skin back together and placed a little cast on his foot. However 3 days later when i took him to our vet they said that the animal hospital overcharged us and did everything wrong. They charged us 210 dollars and if they had needed to sedate him it would have been 500. At our vet they sedated him, redid the stitching the proper way, and re-bandaged it the proper way all for 90 dollars. Ridiculous right? Anyway last week he got the cast removed and i was given instructions to keep him confined for another few days until i went in for a last checkup. Today they removed the stitches and now he seems to still be in a little bit of pain. As he is laying on his side and not really moving around much. Is there anything i can do to the leg, maybe put some form of neosporin on it to moisturize the skin or something like that?

-theres him in his little cast

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hurt Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

Poor guy! He does look pretty cute with that tiny little cast though. I'm a novice and I don't really have any advice other than to talk soothingly to him, maybe give him a piece of raisin, and to give your vet a call tomorrow morning and ask if there's anything you can do to relieve his pain. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Hurt Chinchilla
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »

::silly::  A tiny bit of Neosporin rubbed gently into the skin would probably be greatly appreciated.  The Neosporin is a triple antibiotic ointment that will help combat any germs/bacteria that might be in/on any irritated or dry area of the skin.  It will also help hold in natural moisture of the skin.

Remember:  When a bone is healing, or an area has been immobilized even for a few days, the muscles will atrophy a bit and it will be painful for the little one to walk on for the first few days.  But, as the muscle rebuilds, the pain eases.  { I'll never forget when I got my cast off my leg and was able to bend the knee for the first time in a while.  My doctor warned me I might not be as happy after bending it the first time, as he gently and slowly bent it ... he was very much correct!  It took a while, but was worth it.   ::nod:: }

Emergency visits to a vet hospital are the same as emergency visits to a human hospital.  The human emergency room visit is usually $500 to $1,000 ... if nothing major is wrong ... while the regular doctor's office visit for the same thing would normally be $45 to $80 for the same problem.  So it is for animal hospitals also.    :-\   

This is why I often insisted a person set up a savings account or piggy bank, solely for their chinchilla, with a minimum of $200 in it before they could adopt one of my little ones.  Some thought it a bit much to ask, but those who needed it later on, sent me a "thank-you" note, because they would have not been prepaired otherwise.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up