Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Johnny Passed Away~* RIP  (Read 5226 times)

madstars

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Johnny Passed Away~* RIP
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »

Hi Everyone .
I just introduced myself last week at Guest Room.
I was so happy to have chinchillas and start having a really good time with you guys.
But I just lost one of my lovely chin today. I feel really bad and blame it to myself.
His name is Johnny. He was 2.5 months I got him from the petshop.
I got him last week and he was so nice and look healthy.
But last 4 day i just feed the treat for my chin I feed them with the fresh Alfafa.
Because the doctor said it's fine.After that I noticed that he barely eat everything.
Also he stop moving. I think I will take him to see the doctor today but after I came back home
he was passed away already in his house. I checked his poop but I can't find them. The hay and pellet is the same level
He didn't eat and drink at all. His Belly was really big i think it's full with gas.
I want to stop taking care all of my chins. Because I think I'm a bad owner. I feel so bad
But after i look at the rest ( 1Male/1Female also one at the hospital)
I really think I have to change my mind I will try my best and take a really good care for the rest.
So i will try to lern as much as I can . I will not let the thing like this happen again.

Here is some pics I'm sorry If they make you feel depressed.

He was alive  ;)

Here is when he passed away.  ::cry222:::

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:43:41 AM by chinclub »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Johnny Passed Away~* RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »

Awww that is so sad, I'm so sorry you had to go through this so soon.
Unless you get a necropsy/autopsy done you'll never know for sure what happened.
Debbie.nl.ca

madstars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »

Awww that is so sad, I'm so sorry you had to go through this so soon.
Unless you get a necropsy/autopsy done you'll never know for sure what happened.

Thanks ;)
I gave his body to the doctor already.
He also proved already.He said his digesting system was failed by GAS.
The hay that he ate still stuck in his intestine.He was too young and not that's strong.
I feel so bad about him. But me and the others have to move on~*

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »

::cry222:::    I am so sorry to hear you lost the little one.  Maybe we can help to figure out what caused the gas, so that it will not happen to one of the others.   

You are not a bad owner ... you just have allot more to learn.   :::grins::   All of us had to learn what is good and what is not for chinchillas.   :::grins::   Chinchillas are exotic animals and need special care. 

There are some things beyond our control that will cause gas/bloat and then there are some that we can help prevent. 
Sometimes gas/bloat can be caused by something they eat.  What all did he eat in the last 3 days.  Please try to list everything ... even treats. 
What all is in his chinchilla pellets other than the pellets?
If you gave him any fresh vegtables or fruits, what were they, please?
But last 4 day i just feed the treat for my chin I feed them with the fresh Alfafa.Because the doctor said it's fine.After that I noticed that he barely eat everything.
When a chinchilla feels like his belly is full, he does not eat.  {not eating or cutting back on the amount he normally eats is one of the first things that warns you something is wrong with him.}   The belly can be full of things other than food (such as gas), so he quit eating.   Another reason they may cut back on their food or stop eating is that there is a blockage in the intestines.  When there is a blockage everything backs up and makes him feel full.
Also he stop moving. I think I will take him to see the doctor today but after I came back home
he was passed away already in his house. I checked his poo (we say poop  :blush2: - it sounds better   :::grins::) but I can't find them. 
That sounds like a blockage.  If you watch their poop, it will tell you allot.
(1) Normal poop is oval, moist, but firm.
(2) Dirrhea poop is more round, wet and mushy ... you often find it stuck to the shelves, the fur and the leaping ledges.  Dirrhea is not good. 
(3) Dry poop is much smaller, dry and hard ... you usually see this when a chinchilla is dehydrated.  A dehydrated chinchilla is not good.  You can usually see/feel the spine sticking out under the skin, also when a chin is becoming dehydrated.
(4)  Poop covered in what looks like raw eggwhite .... this is very bad ... it is often signs of infection or parasites ... these can chill a chinchilla quickly.

The hay and pellet is the same level He didn't eat and drink at all. His Belly was really big i think it's full with gas.

Anytime a chinchilla cuts back on the amount of food or water he eats/drinks, even if it is only by 25%, this is a sign something is very wrong ... if the chin is in his regular home and there has not been anything to upset him.   

In the wild, chinchillas have to hide the fact they are sick or injured ... if they don't , they can become easy prey for other animals.  They still carry this trait today.   You have to watch them very closely every day to learn what is "normal" for each one, this way you may be able to see the early signs of illness.

Please let us know what the doctor says was wrong with your little one.
 In the meantime, clean the cage real good and make sure there is nothing in it that could harm the other chins.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

madstars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »

I still  feel pretty bad about Johnny.
And here is the information about the diet that he ate before he passed away.
I gave him Oxbow pellets.
Alfafa hays from Oxbow.
But i gave the fresh hay around my house ( I'm  quite sure that it doesn't have the toxic becuase we never ever used the insectiside) to him.
Here is the picture of the fresh hay.

Because when I went to see the doctor who take care of Oshin.He said the fresh hay is ok for the treats. So I gave it to him.
I also feed the fresh hay to the others. But they are fine.
After next 3 days he barely move/Eat and drink. i really feel like it has something wrong with him.
I keep my eye on him . I can't find his poop at all. So i really think I have to go to see the doctor after I came back from work.
And before I went to work I feed him with the critical care. One more thing Johnny was really young and  quite small.
I think he is only 2 months. After he passed away I took his corpse to the clinic. The doctor check and let me know that Johnny has a problem in this gastric and intestine.  :'(
He has too much gas and he can't  torelate that.  ::cry222:::

One more serious thing for me  now is Oshin
Standard Chinchilla ( She was 3 months)  that was admited in the clinic for 10 days.
I just took her out of the hospital and take care of her by myself last Tuesday(04/08/09).
She have to take 5 different types of the medicine everyday.
Her running nose is much better . But she still has the big problem. It was the same thing as Johnny .
It's about the gas. The very first time I think the doctor who take care of her is not that good.
So I take her to meet another one. He is very famous about the exotic pet in bangkok.
the doctor check her nose/belly and her chest. He said she is fine. So I don't have to feed some medicine to her.
He gave me the muti medicine I'm not sure i think it's called booster.
Here is the list of the medicine that I have to feed her.
- Enro
-Anti phlegm
-Decress Inflamed
-carminative
and the last one is Vitamin to make her want to eat the diet.
Then I stop feeding the carminative for her onlyone day. After the next day I check her belly it feel like
the ballon. She barely move and eat again. I'm so sacred that I will lost her like Johnny and also feel very angry about the famous doctor  :flames:.
Then I took her to the first clinic again the doctor put the small pipe line in to her body to took some gas out of her body. And inject the medicine to
decress her pain.She have to admit at the hospital again :'(. I'm very worried about her and myself
Because I spend almost 250USD for both doctor.  :'( )
What should I do? I should remain with the first doctor or find the new one.
But I think i will let doctor admit her for 5 more days If she didn't feel better I will change the doctor one more time.
I really hope she will get better soon. She was sick almost 1 month . I feel really bad for her.  :'

P.S. Thanks jo Ann to correct my word. I will try to improve my English as much as I can.
I really hope you guys can understand my English. My writting skill is the worst  :::(((
(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:42:53 AM by madstars »

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »

Sorry about Johnny, and I don`t mind your writing skills at all. We all aren`t perfect. ;)   
God Bless Chinchillas!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

Aww that's so sad, I can't believe another one has gotten sick??????
That would lead me to believe it's something they can pass around. Or something they are all or these 2 are doing, or have ingested. ::think::

You'll have to go with your gut instincs with the vet. If you are not happy with either find another. If the first was better than the second yes go back. :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:58:04 AM »

::silly:: 
Aww that's so sad, I can't believe another one has gotten sick??????
That would lead me to believe it's something they can pass around. Or something they are all or these 2 are doing, or have ingested. ::think::

You'll have to go with your gut instincs with the vet. If you are not happy with either find another. If the first was better than the second yes go back.   :hugs:

I agree with Debbie, it could be something they ate (chinchillas have allergies like humans), or it could be something they have gotten into during playtime.  Think back before the first one got sick. 
1)  Did you have the carpet cleaned?  One lady almost lost her chin due to cleaning residue left in the carpet which entered her chin through it's feet. 
2)  Wax the floors? 
3)  Buy a new cleaning product for your clothes, or any general cleaning around the house?   
4)  Change makeup or cologne?
5)  Has anyone been eating their food in the same room with the chins when they are out playing?  Chins are notorious about stealing food off of a plate or the floor when they get a chance.  Many vegtables will give a chinchilla gas.  (broccoli, sweet potatoes, beans, etc.)  Any food that will cause a human to have gas, will also cause gas in chinchillas.  We can easily expell the gas, they can not.
6)  I would question the fresh hay only because it is grown outside and you have no control over what may get around or on the hay.

As far as the vet ... you have to go to the one you have the most confidence in ... or find one you can have confidence in for your little ones health and your own peace of mind..

Your English is wonderful.  English is a very hard language, one word can mean many different things.  One thing may have many different names.
Feces is the medical word ... poop is a slang word often used for the same thing ... while s--t is the same thing, but most people use it as a mild cuss word.   ::)  It's a very difficult language.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:12:55 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »

That poem made me cry.
Did you really snip some hairs from your chin?

I was petting Schroeder's soft little body yesterday morning. His hair is so beautiful.
I think it would just make me sad to keep any of it though.
 ::cry222:::
Pages: [1]   Go Up