Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Boss is getting violent. Update - Looking Good =)  (Read 2330 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Big Boss is getting violent. Update - Looking Good =)
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

Heya,

I haven't been around for a little while as I've been caring for my sick bunny but I just needed to get some advice about Big Boss.

Cheech and Chong had two babies just over a year ago called Snake and Big Boss. They were both girls so they stayed with mum and Chong got moved into a separate cage. After long, long deliberation I have decided to get Chong castrated which I'm hoping to do at the beginning of December. This means I will have a long time to care for him afterwards and I'm hoping to bond him with the girls over Easter.

Now my problem is Big Boss who was the smallest of the twins. While Snake is very shy Big Boss has just dominated over her mum and sister. She is very friendly towards people and will always hop on my lap, have cuddles etc, but she is desperate to be in charge. If Cheech is drinking and she wants to drink, she will just push her out of the way. If I'm giving Snake a tickle through the bars she just pushes her out of the way. She steals treats off them, jumps on them and lately she's started to squeak and spray them.  :::(((

Chong and Cheech still love each other and I will bring Chong over to the other cage so he can have nose kisses with Cheech. Snake also gets on really well with him, but Big Boss hates him. If I bring him over she will go ballistic at whoever is saying hello to him and barks and sprays them. So obviously I can't bring him over any more which is going to make bonding harder next year. But two nights ago worried me even more...

I woke up in the middle of the night to an awful racket. Big Boss was fighting with Chong. I was half asleep and I actually thought she had got into his cage somehow. But no, she was just fighting him through the bars and across a gap of about three inches. She's just getting worse and worse. My original plan was to bond her and Chong as she is the dominant one and then the others should be fine. But now not only is she worse with him, she's worse with her mum and sister too. I really need some advice. ::shrug::

So far these are my options... See how thing go over the next few months especially with Chong's castration. If she's okay or no worse I will try to bond them. But if she gets worse I will have to separate her from the other girls. I just don't know how she would react as she's never ever been on her own and hasn't even left my house since she's been born. My friend absolutely loves her to bits so I don't have to worry about finding her a home but I couldn't risk her going with another chinchilla. Or could I? And then of course I could get her spayed. But I am very against this. It's taken me over a year to finally decide to get Chong done and it was hard because of the risks involved, but getting Big Boss done would be even more dangerous.

I love her to bits so I want to do what's best for her but at the moment she is bullying the others.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:33:13 PM by Jenova »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Big Boss is getting violent...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »

Big Boss sounds like one that needs to be an "only chin" with a new family that will give him lots of time and attention.  From what you are describing, Big Boss wants to be the alpha chin and will accept nothing less.  Personal opinion (based on what you are saying): If you do not find this little alpha chin a new home, you may have some major problems as she gets older and bigger.  When a chin is this dominate they can intimidate others in the cage to the point that they are not allowing the others to eat or drink.  If you've ever been bullied, then you will understand what the mum and sister are going through now.  Stress on chinchillas is not good.

Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

That's what I thought you'd say.  :'(
She's such a loving little girl I just can't believe how she is to the others. I don't know if you've seen my cage, but it's three stories with shelves on each level so it's not like they can't get away from each other and that's causing tension. It's just her...

My friend really wants her and I know she'll be looked after but how would it affect them all as they've been together since she was born just over a year ago.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »

::silly::
but how would it affect them all as they've been together since she was born just over a year ago.

Each chinchilla is different and there is no way to know for sure.  You might want to do it on a trial basis for about a week, if your friend would be willing to do so.

I am sure they would miss her, but at the same time, they would probably be more relaxed and healthier for it in the long run.

Big Boss would miss them also, but could become the total center of attention, which is what the alpha chin tends to crave.  Not having someone to bully, she might even calm down a bit and become more relaxed herself.

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »

You are very right. I'm monitoring her at the moment just to make sure it's not a phase or anything. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks for the help. ::silly::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

I have many chins in there own cage, but they all know they are there in the same room.
If she's such a good pet you could keep her as such, in a cage by herself. She may even think she's alpha then. ;)
Some are more people chins too. I'm sure some of mine think they are people and not chins at all. ;D
But there's nothing wrong with giving her to a friend if your satisfied to do that. You will still get to see her and watch her grow up. I love when I get to do that with my babies.
And I know how hard it is to part with some more than others. I have kicked myself for selling some. :-\
I would make sure she is comfy in a cage by herself before I re-homed her. I do that even with the kits.But as she is still young re-homing should not be a problem.

I'm sure your decision will be what's best for your chins.    |hugs|      Though I know it's not easy to decide sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:57:53 AM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »

Thanks.

It is really hard, Big Boss and Snake are my first and only babies and I love them. I've been trying something with them, which is basically ignoring her whenever she does something I don't like. I think it might be working although it's a little too early to tell. But if she pushed one out of the way for a treat, she doesn't get the treat and the same with fuss. And I am giving treats and fuss to the others and making her wait.

*fingers crossed*  ::nod::

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

So far so good. Big Boss and Snake were eating together and Snake was sat right in the food bowl. Big Boss didn't do anything. I think it's actually worked. Lucky for her she's very intelligent.  ::nod::
I've also been blowing on her whenever she starts to fight, and ignoring er when she bullies. The others get treats first and I have been drilling it into her that she's not in charge.

Look what I saw today...

That's Snake in the back on the left. Big Boss in the Middle and Cheech at the front. I like to call it 'Bundle O' Finnies'.

::kiss99:: ::dancingspot::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Big Boss is getting violent. Update - Looking Good =)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »

That's so cool and just gosh darn cute. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

::silly::   Very cute!  Glad to see they are doing much better.   ::nod::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann  ::howdythere::

My Little Jamie

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

AWWW! Your chins are so cute! I had been wondering how you discipline a chinchilla and you seem to have found a good way.  ::clapp:: Bravo! Hopefully she will realize that she can't be a bully and be a good girl at the same time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up