Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire shelf  (Read 1338 times)

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Wire shelf
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:37:54 AM »

I'm thinking about building my own cage for Po. I want to build him a MANSION. However, I was thinking about the many hundred shelves that I would have to put and how much I might struggle to clean every shelf. Do you think some of those wooden shelves could be replaced with wire shelves, to make things a bit easier to clean? I was thinking maybe 50/50 wire to wood or 75/25 wire to wood, or 25/75 with maybe one or two ceramic shelves throw in to keep them cool during the hot hours. Do you think this owuld be an okay idea? Which ratio do you think is best and do you think I hear so many opinions on wire shelves. People say chinchillas can break their feet on them while others say otherwise.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Wire shelf
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

I would not use wire shelves, too many possible injuries.
How ever you can tip the wood shelves a tad, into the cage so the droppings roll off.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Wire shelf
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »

::silly::  All shelves need to be vacuumed or wiped off on a regular basis ... how and how hard it is is just as hard/easy as you make it. 

Wire shelves have to be cleaned just as often as wood shelves and are often harder to clean.  Wire shelves need to be cleaned on both sides with a steam cleaner and the use of a wire brush and hose or shower head.  The wire shelves may not look as bad, but there is urine and feces that cling to them. 

:-\  Shelves inside of the cage are harder to work with/clean when remaining inside the cage. 

Wood shelves can usually be easily removed.  Often a small hand sander will get them in shape in just a few seconds, wipe down with a cloth using a vinegar and water solution and returned to the cage.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:24:05 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up