Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I know if my chin is dying of old age?  (Read 6756 times)

stevectsai

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How do I know if my chin is dying of old age?
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi,

New to the forum, I had experience with sick Chins and I've seen teeth problems and digestive track issues, but this one is different.

I have a female chin about 11 years old, she was doing great up until 3 days ago when she was not eating as much.  All of suddent things deteriorated quickly and now she completely stopped eating and struggling to stand up.  I looked at her poops and they look ok and continues to poop a little though it's about half the size of normal (seems like no digestive track blockage).  I don't see any signs of diarrhea and now she completed stopped eating/drinking so I can't really hand-feed her.   Now she's on dying bed and losing heat.

so I have a question:  how do I know if my chin died of old age?  what are the signs of old age?  do old chins stop eating and wait for the inevitable like the elephants?

thanks in advance for your help.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: How do I know if my chin is dying of old age?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »

::silly::  11 isn't really that old, I have several that are in their early teens and still having kits.

All of suddent things deteriorated quickly and now she completely stopped eating and struggling to stand up.  I looked at her poops and they look ok and continues to poop a little though it's about half the size of normal (seems like no digestive track blockage).

It does sound like she is heading for dehydration or already there.  Once the poops stop, she's in real trouble and from what you are  describing she is headed in that direction.

Not eating and not drinking is a bad sign ... this by it's self can contribute to impacted bowels.  Do you know how to force feed her?

If you do not want to do that, you could put some Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice 1/2 and 1/2 with water to encourage her to drink.

If she does not eat or drink soon, she will be very close to death.

Are there any other chins that are sick at this time?  If not, watch for it ... especially if she is still in the same room with other chins.

It will have to be up to you to decide what her fate will be.  If you want to allow her to go naturally, you may want to stay with her and hold her ... I always do with mine ... until the very end ... but , some people prefer not to do so.

If she has a gagemate, I would not leave her and the cagemate together ... this can be pretty rough on one to see it's mate die.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

stevectsai

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:50:19 PM »

Not eating and not drinking is a bad sign ... this by it's self can contribute to impacted bowels.  Do you know how to force feed her?

If you do not want to do that, you could put some Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice 1/2 and 1/2 with water to encourage her to drink.

If she does not eat or drink soon, she will be very close to death.

Hi Jo Ann, she passed on to a better place.  She probably waited for me because it happened right while I was watching.  Took the last breath and then she left.

thanks for your help on this.  this would be my 4th and final Chin, they brought joy to my life and I miss all of them.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »

It's sad but fact. Sometimes we know why and many we don't.
How cool to have shared her life for 10 years.
I bet she and all others before her felt the same about you.
I'm sure they are missing you as well, but remembering you with love.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

:'(   I am sorry to hear Daisy passed on, but she is in a better place now. 

I knew when I was reading your post, that it was probably only a matter of hours, if not minutes.  I think she knew, but held on and wanted to say goodbye before she left.  Some people do not believe that, but I do, very strongly ... I have had to many chins, dogs and cats over the years to seem to know I want to be there with them when they leave.  Most have died in my arms, or hands, or lap.

If you feel a little tug on your heart, there's another chinnie somewhere out there just waiting for your love.   ::silly::  There's not enough love going around and when you have it to spare, sharing it with a little critter (especially a chin that needs you) brings laughter back into your life.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up