Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hi everyone.....question?  (Read 1821 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
hi everyone.....question?
« on: September 23, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »

hi there....
so yesterday i took in another chinchilla. she is 6 months old and grey.....her name is ming ming! maisy got very excited when i brought her into the room and was smelling around her cage at play time. they kept touching noses and whimpering, it was precious. the chinchilla came from a co-worker. it belonged to the daughter and was not being taken care of so i took it under my wing. i have noticed that her poops are a very light brown, almost a cream color....i'm wondering if this is from not getting the correct nutrients. when i got her there was no hay, alfalfa or cubes in the cage.....and no food. i put mazuri in her cage and she went crazy....eating nonstop. the poor thing was probably so hungry!!!!! she also drinks constantly, so i was thinking she was probably a little dehydrated too. i'm hoping after about a month of getting used to each other they will be able to be cagemates....i think maisy would benefit from that ::nod:: so anyways, now i have two gorgeous chinchillas. right now there cages are next to each other so that they can get used to each others scent, although maisy's cage towers above ming ming's cage. also when i got ming ming there was alot of plastic in her cage....shelves, ramps...etc which i immediately got rid of and chinchilla proofed it with wooden shelves and ledges (didnt have the money to shell out for a new chin mansion :::((( ) so my questions are.....what would cause her poops to be so light colored? and what can i do to make the transition smooth?......also i heard that some people give their chins vitamin c to boost their immune system.....what kind and how many mg/days? childrens chewables? i think im gonna start doing that.
~Morgan, maisy and ming-ming~ ;)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: hi everyone.....question?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »

Take her to a chinchilla savvy vet.  ::nod::
The poos and the drinking is not a good sign. I would also keep her separate from your chin just to be safe.
But well done for talking her in and good luck.  :::grins::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

::silly::   More than likely, it was her diet that caused the off colored feces/poop. Doubt that they were giving her the right kind of anything, from what you describe.

Children's chewable vitamin C is good.

Dried rose hips and dried papaya are very good for them and contains some good vitamins they need.

Alfalfa hay has much more in it for chinchillas than Timothy hay.  Normally, you would feed an adult chinchilla Timothy, IF he/she had been getting a proper diet.  I normally reserve the Alfalfa hay for the females in breeding or nursing and for the kits up to three months of age, then I mix Alfalfa and Timothy half and half until the kit is 6 months old.  For this one, I would probably give her alfalfa hay for a while. 

Don't waste your money on liquid vitamins.  If you notice, most liquid vitamins come in a solid plastic or dark colored glass bottle ... this is to keep the light away from them ... the light weakens the vitamins quickly ... plus, if you put liquid vitamins in the waterbottle, you really do not know how much they are actually getting.

A vet checkup with a vet that is familiar with chinchillas is a good idea also.

IF something is wrong with the new chin, it could be contagious, you want to make sure to keep them separated.  I always suggest an isolation period for any new chinchilla, regardless of where they come from.

:)  It's easier to prevent a problem as apposed to having to have to fix one.     ::nod::

You have become this little chin's earthbound guardian angel ... bless you ... and take good care of Ming-Ming!

Keep us posted!

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:08:16 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »

thanks for the advice.....ming ming is healthy so i put their cages back next to each other. i have been alternating play times and they seemed to be getting along great so i took them both out and supervised very closely. maisy is deffinately jealous of ming ming. there was a little spatting and then ming ming sprayed maisy and she went up on her hind legs.....could i have two dominant females? is that what this means? will they ever get along? maisy seems very stressed so i'm thinking i might have to find a new home for ming ming, which i dont want to do, but i'm thinking it may be the only option. is there anyone on her that lives in the vermont area and would want a new chinchilla? i dont know what to do? do you think it just may take time? poor ming ming....i just want her to have a really really good home.  :'(

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »

Yes sometimes these things take time, months even.
They may just one day decide they like each other, and it is possible they never will.
I'd give it time before I gave up, you need time to bond Ming Ming. Right now she trusts no one and you want her to be friends with another that does trust you.
She needs you to love her too. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »

i am going to keep her...and just hope that they decide to like each other in the future. for the time being they still have seperate playtimes. maisy seems to like her, but ming ming still wants to spray at maisy through the cage...is that defensive behavior?
Pages: [1]   Go Up