Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible malocclusion?  (Read 4162 times)

RockedByRequiem

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Possible malocclusion?
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »

Hello everyone.
I posted here a few months ago due to some concerns I had with my chinchilla Peewee. Well, he got totally better and showed no signs of illness for a while, but now he's having problems again. From what I can gather, it appears that it is probably a malocclusion. He has lost a lot of weight, pushes his food out of his bowl, has a little bit of drooling and watery eyes. His behavior and demeanor is still pretty normal, but he is obviously not well. I have no money whatsoever due to the fact that I have been unemployed for a few years because of health issues, so I have resorted to selling material possessions in order to take him to a vet. I am taking him tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I can get some insight here first. My first question is, is there a possibility that it's not actually a malocclusion, and something less serious? Also, what kind of bill am I looking at if 1) I have to put him down, and 2) If it is indeed treatable? I know no one can know precisely, but some sort of guess perhaps, based on his symptoms? If it is a malocclusion, am I most likely going to have to put him down?

I have read that this is primarily hereditary, which makes sense. I have taken the absolute best care of him for the 6 1/2 years I've had him, and he is a pet store chin.

Also, is there anything I can do for him to make the trip a little easier? He's never been to a vet, and he already doesn't enjoy people other than myself.

This makes me so sad, and any help or insight I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

betty

• View Profile
Re: Possible malocclusion?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »

My chinchilla had a somewhat similar syptoms as yours.  Watery eyes, loose weight, powederd all his pellets and he was suffering from maloccusion.  Each visit to the vet is about $65-75 office visit, xray costs about $100 and anestisia cost about $100, filing cost about $80, you can always check with your vet on the medical bill that way there are no surprises. 
Where are you located? If you are in N. Cal there is a special event for chinchilla oweners on 2/15, $5 heath check by a Chinchilla Vet....I found out about this after my chin passed away last Monday....too late for me :(

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

I hope all is well with your guy. I well understand about the money.I'm tired of just sliding by too!
Sandy

RockedByRequiem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »

Well, I took him today, and everything went very well. He was much more cooperative than I thought he would be. He even sat still and allowed us to weigh him. He had issues with several different teeth. One was actually growing directly into his cheek. But she put him out and took care of them all. Hopefully they don't just grow right back to the way they were. I have to bring him back in a month, and then three months after that.

Force feeding...Not so much fun. At the vet, he sat like a champ and swallowed it right down. Actually appeared to enjoy it. Home 4 hours later, not so much. As soon as I put him down he made a beeline for his cage. He probably hates me now, and he's gonna hate me a lot more over the next week.  ;)

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »

I'm glad things went OK. :::grins:: The hand feeding will get easy-er as you do it more.
Sandy

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

Well you know now he has maloccluded, so it's going to be a life long thingy for him now.
Once they start trimming 99% of the time he will need them periodically for the rest of his life.  :(
I treated one for over 6 years, he was about 10-11 when I let him go.
He was a trooper and after the first few trims we got used to the signs and he could let me know when it was time again.
He got so good we didn't have to put him asleep to do it.It cost me about about $30.00 3-4 times a years. The first visit , trim and ex rays cost the most.
Once you get to know his actions towards the over grown teeth down pat you'll find it much easier.
If he gets really upset and stops eating for too long you run into dehydration and other problems, so first signs from now on take him in for a trim.
I feel for the little guy, but once under control many can do very well for many years with the proper treatment.
You'll know when he's had enough, but for the most part you should be able to knock it down to a week of being sick 3-4 time a year. The rest he will be his happy old self.
And you know what??? They seem to learn to love you more not hate you once they get into the swing of it all. They soon learn your taking good care of them.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:25 AM »

::silly::   
They seem to learn to love you more not hate you once they get into the swing of it all. They soon learn your taking good care of them.

So true ... Toofie ... would let me know it was time to take care of his teeth by sticking his nose through the cage wire and showing me his teeth.  {Toofie was born with only two teeth (front 2 bottom teeth) and no way to wear them down.  His two had to be clipped weekly.  Once he realized it made him feel better and able to eat and he would remind me it was time to take care of them.   :::grins:: }

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »

Poor guy!  Glad he's doing better too.  Try talking to your vet also.  If they know you are going to have to be there often, maybe they can work out a deal or waive some fees for you.  I feel you on the money.  We just recently had to move across country for part family related, part job related, and so forth.  It's been kinda tough especially with me be disabled.  We always pray for better days as I'm sure you do as well.  I tell you though, if I didn't have my Chinchilla's and Kitties I'd go nuts!  Chinchilla's truly are amazing animals and they know when you love them.  I've had people quite often react like "eeeww" when you tell them you have Chinchilla's but you know what?  They are missing out.

Best wishes on your little dude.  And keep your chin up!  Pun totally intended!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »

::hah::
And keep your chin up!  Pun totally intended!
::thumbsup::

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »

i'm glad he's okay..

i do just want to let you know of this place called fundable.com.. if you ever get stuck again, you go in and tell your story and people don't if they want to.. i had to do it once because i lost my job over 1 1/2 ago and with the ecnomy can't find anything... 
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Bogart

• Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

I am sooo glad that things went very well for you ;) ;) ;) ;) :::grins:: :::grins:: :::grins::
Black Viper's 500 LMTD
Pages: [1]   Go Up