Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin won't eat... any suggestions?  (Read 22274 times)

KellyGraham

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Stewie
    • View Profile
Re: Chin won't eat... any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:50:46 AM »

UPDATE ON STEWIE:
     I took Stewie to see the Vet last Tuesday. To my surprise, Dr. Susan Seman stated that he looked much better than the last time she examined him! His heart and lungs sounded great, his hydration level was excellent, and he looked more alert and attentive to me. She said that it obviously was due to me being so aggressive in his care. She stated that due to the force feeding, antimetic medication, eye drops, and subq fluids I was giving him, he looked like he was doing quite well. She stated that she wanted me to keep trying for one more week, then take him off everything and see what he does. By that time Stewie would have not been eating or drinking on his own for an entire month. He cannot be force fed his entire life, and she said I would have my answer once I stopped everything.
     I decreased his force feeding to once daily on Thursday because he wouldn't take anything from me in the morning. Since his hydration status was good, I also stopped the subq fluids. I was only giving the relgan once daily as well.

By Saturday evening Stewie was eating pellets and hay again!   :::grins:: My husband and I just couldn't believe it!
I'm mixing alfalfa and timothy hay and only giving pellets (no fancy stuff) He hasn't started to eat his yogurt drops yet  (that's his favorite treat) but he is eating on his own!!! I cannot believe that after an entire month he's eating on his own. I really thought it was only getting worse. Dr. Seman prepared me for the worst and told me that most chins don't come back once their intestines stop. I was determined to prove her wrong and I did... well, Stewie did!  ::nod::

He hasn't started drinking yet, so because it's been almost 24 hours without liquid I will try to syringe some water into him tonight. If he won't let me do that then I will administer some subq fluids.

Thank you everyone for all your advice. Stewie and I appreciate everything!  ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »

::silly::   Fantastic!     ::highfive:: 

He still has a way to go, keep a close eye on his intake of food and liquids, his weight and his poops.  These are all "meters" as to how he is doing ... good or bad. 
If he becomes ill a second time, before he is completely over the first one, things can go worse much quicker ... don't let your guard down. 
If he will eat yogurt, you might want to give him that, daily, for the next couple of weeks, to help keep his digestive system in check, especially since you will be taking him off the Reglan.  My little ones seem to like Dannon's blueberry and strawberry the best. 

There's a big difference in force feeding, supplemental feeding and hand feeding.  Supplemental and hand feeding is usually received on a willing basis from the chin.  The yogurt and/or his treats would be considered supplemental and hand feeding, respectively.

Keep us posted!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Laura

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »

Glad to hear Stewie is on the mend :)
Laura

Ceilingaquarium

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Instagram (with pics of my chins!)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »

Reading this has been really helpful! My chin is on antibiotics at the moment...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up