Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you hang the chew toys up?  (Read 1834 times)

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How do you hang the chew toys up?
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »

Hi guys, recently I bought Po a lot of chew toys. Drilled a few holes in them, but I'm trying to figure out some good ways to hang them up. I know they sell the bell chain thingies at the Pet Stores, but those are a little more expensive and they ALWAYS coem with other chew toys that I don't need. I already have enough chew toys for Po, I just need something that can hold them up. I tried using just a normal key chain thingy but that started to rust really bad! What are cheaper ways to hang them up that you find most affective?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:43:38 PM by ahappycamper »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: How do you hang the chew toys up?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

I keep and find old clips from removeable purse straps, and cut the straps off. There is usually a small loop at the end of the hook part that I can put a washer and a screw through. If it's a mesh roof cage I put a small block of wood on the outside and screw into it.
You can buy these big key rings at the dollar store with a push in pin, I add a block and a ring,another block and another ring........
Heavy gage crafting wire is awesome, just make sure there is no where/way they can get caught up in anything.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »

::silly::  The old fashion metal rings used to hang shower curtains work wonders.  If you buy one package, you could hang chew blocks all over his cage.  The blocks sit in the larger portion of the ring and the smaller portion of the ring is used to hook to the cage.  Always make sure to close the hooks carefully.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:16 AM »

I keep and find old clips from removeable purse straps, and cut the straps off. There is usually a small loop at the end of the hook part that I can put a washer and a screw through. If it's a mesh roof cage I put a small block of wood on the outside and screw into it.
You can buy these big key rings at the dollar store with a push in pin, I add a block and a ring,another block and another ring........
Heavy gage crafting wire is awesome, just make sure there is no where/way they can get caught up in anything.

Thank you Jo Ann and Debbie!

Debbie, do you think the color on the gauge crafting wire matters? The only crafting gauge wire at "Michaels" has a black color to it, I'm not sure if this would be harmful to the chins though when they chew it.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

Gee Jo Ann I has forgotten about those shower curtain rings. I've used them too in the past, but haven't seen them lately.
Hmm must have a look at the dollar stores  ::thumbsup::

The only crafting gauge wire at "Michaels" has a black color to it
Should be fine, the one I use is green, but the color is in the metal. Mine don't chew the wire, and most times they can't get at it.
Just make sure you tuck the ends out of the way, and leave the gaps a tad close so they can't chew the wire.
If they can and do you'll be replacing it constantly.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up