Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whats the best Kitten food  (Read 5329 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
whats the best Kitten food
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »

So my kitty waldo is about 5 months old. I keep being told that the food I have him on isn't that good. When I got him, he was on purina kitten food. I was told that that can cause urinary track infections. The guy at pets mart said that Imas was better so I switched him to that. Last time I was in this guy said that that wasn't that good and I'v heard that the name brands are higher in fat and arn't that good for them bc that can cause problems when they get older. I am in the procces on switching him to the kitten science diet.

My best friend has 3 cats and she said that when they were kittens, she fed them purina one and that when they are kittens they need to have more fat. and that Science diet wasn't good for kittens bc it doens't have alot of fat in it and that its all fillers.

So, I'm kinda lost on what I should feed him because I have been told a couple of things. I'v been thinking of joining a car forum. I'm sure there is one out there.

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: whats the best Kitten food
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »

Hi, We have always feed our cats iam's and have had no problems. I have tried this new cat food, royal canin cat food. The cats love it and seem to be all the happier with it. Good luck, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »

::silly::  Cats/kittens need different things at different points in their lives.  If it were me, I'd check with the vet and see what he tells you is best at this point in his life ... be sure to tell him what you have fed him up to this point.

I always supplement my cats (when I have cats) and my dogs with chicken and rice with carrots. 
Boil the chicken until it falls off the bone ... remove all bone ... cut meat into bite size chunks.
Cut the carrots in 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices crosswise (making little wheels out of the carrots).
Drain the liquid off the chicken into a bowl or pot, measure it. 
With most natural rice (NOT instant) you use 2 parts chicken water/broth to 1 part rice (2 cups broth/water to 1 cup rice). 
Measure the water and the rice and return to pot. 
Add chicken and carrots. 
After the water comes to a boil the first time, cover and cook about 20 minutes. 
Allow to cool.  Then, share a meal with your kitty or puppy!

This recipe works wonders if they have diarrhea also!  (I did volunteer work at the SPCA and I gave this recipe to them 25 years ago, they still use it.)

::wave::  Jo Ann

Everytime we have plain rice at home, I have to cook enough for my Danes also, or they will set there and drool the whole time.   For them I add a little chicken bullion or beef bullion to add to the flavor.  I do this by using one cube to 1/2 cup water and microwave it until it is dissolved, then pour it over their rice.  (If you have made beef stew or vegtable soup, you can use the liquid from that to pour over the  dogs/cats rice, instead of using a chicken or beef bullion cube.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:41:57 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »

Thanks you two. I don't have a vet for him. I took him to the SPCA for his shots and to get nurtured.

KellyGraham

• Stewie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

The best kind of kitten food is any name brand food that you can buy consistantly. (Changing their diets too quickly can cause diarrhea) My vet recommends Science diet, Iams, or the higher end of Purina (like Purina One). I prefer Purina One myself. When you look on the back of the bag, the first two ingredients should be a protein and a carb. Kittens need these nutrients to help them grow strong bones. I've never heard of a particular food causing a urinary tract infection (I work for a vet). There are certain foods that help prevent them though.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »

KellyGraham,

Thanks very much. We just switched him to science diet and he loves it. Next time I go to petsmart I'll look at the other foods. When we do switch him we always do it slowly by mixing the new with the old.   :)

What foods help prevent a urinary tract infection? I'm guessing the ones that you suggests. 

KellyGraham

• Stewie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »

What foods help prevent a urinary tract infection? I'm guessing the ones that you suggests. 

Most of the commercial foods that state they help prevent urinary tract disease don't actually have enough of a particular ingredient to completely prevent anything. However, there are prescription foods such as Hills Science Diet, CD as well as Purina SO that prevent different types of crystals by increasing or decreasing urinary pH. If you are worried about urinary diseases the most appropriate thing to do for a kitten is to offer a complete and balanced diet, which you are doing by offering Hills, give canned food as a treat to increase water intake, and buy a water fountain to increase fresh, filtered, water intake. I know that some people feel that it is bad for a cat's teeth to give them canned food, but as long as you offer it as a treat it shouldn't cause more tartar build up. Plus, if you start young you can teach your kitten to comply with tooth brushing.

Most urinary infections in cats are caused by stress rather than infection. Cats are creatures of habit, so never change anything in their environment drastically... do things gradually. Offer alone time and play time to let your kitten know it is appreciated. I have 7 cats myself and rarely ever have a urinary infection issue. They are all on Purina Indoor formula dry with a once weekly treat of fancy feast and daily tartar treats.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »

I too am using the indoor formula, my concern with my cat was fat content. He was getting very over weight on the food my mother-in law was feeding him. He got passed on to me when she passed, and is nice and slim now.
Some of the cat foods have way to much fat in them.
All cats are different like any of us animals, but as has been said start with a good balanced diet and watch your cat for signs of problems or changes that need to be made.
We have a group/Co. here now making fresh dog & cat food. It's made from raw meats and sold frozen in the freezer sections of the local supermarkets. I'd love to try it with my cat, but geez it's cheaper for me to feed him T Bones,  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »

Thanks, thats good know. We give him wet food, but not often at all. I found out my bf was giving him some with out me knowing. I was always mixing it with his dry food a little bit at a time. We did that more often when we just got him so the dry food would be easier for him to eat. The treats that he is on have tarter control, but the other treats i have for him once he runs out have better tarter control.

My boyfriend plays with him more than I do. But he def knows he is loved. We always give him kisses and my bf has taught him some tricks. My chins as long as our kitty are spoiled. When I moved in with my b/f he switched apartments, but in the same complex.  Our kitty was living with him. So we would bring him over every day and let him explore the apt before we actually moved in. I would have him on the leash so I would let him get down and explore on the way.

I give him fresh water at least once a day. I clean out the bowl also.

Our kitty is an indoor cat, but we do let him out on the patio and out on his leash sometimes. He is on science diet healthy development kitty food.
Pages: [1]   Go Up