Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedding types?  (Read 29477 times)

chinpizza

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Bedding types?
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »

What is the best bedding to use for chinchillas?

I was originally recommended by a vet to use Carefresh Ultra, and up to this point thats what I've kept with. I have noticed them nibbling on it when I first put fresh in, but they tend to drop it fairly quickly and go back to what they were doing before. Still, I've read that Carefresh isn't safe to eat and paired with the cost of it compared to other beddings I would be happy to switch them to something different.

I've heard that pine bedding can be dusty and cause respiratory problems if used long-term, but it seems that a lot of people have used and are currently using this without any problems. Aspen is supposedly better because it doesn't carry the oils found in the pine bedding. I'm wondering if the oils in the pine bedding is what causes the problems? Either way, I've also been told that the wood beddings aren't safe to eat either because they will expand in the stomach. I assume though that wood shavings would be more digestible than the Carefresh? Of course I know never to use cedar. :noway:

What about the newspaper type bedding?

What about no bedding at all? It seems that both of my chinchillas prefer to urinate in the bedding, so if I remove it will they start peeing everywhere in the cage? (I have a tall setup with shelves, and the bedding is only at the bottom, so I'm wondering if they will start to pee on the shelves if I take the bedding out?) Has anyone tried using a litterbox and putting bedding in that and leaving the rest of the cage bare? If I did try the litterbox, what would be the best material to get? I'd rather not use plastic; how safe are the disposable cardboard litterboxes?

What type of bedding do you use with your chinchilla(s) and why?

Thanks everyone for your time and input!  :)

Annick

• View Profile
Re: Bedding types?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »

HI there!!

When I first got my chins I had the same questions about bedding and stuff.  rofl I still buy random bedding sometimes just to try it but I think I've come down to a good set up that works for me.  I've used all types of wood shavings for bedding before for my guinea pig and I decided when I got my chins I wouldn't use wood shavings cause I find it very messy and light and can be scattered everywhere.  I started out with Carefreash but I absolutely hated it.  My chins seemed to like it and revelled in it as it was quite dusty and they rolled in it like a sandbox.  I hated it cause of the smell and the dust and how it made me itchy when I touched it.  So I quit on Carefresh within a couple of days.  I changed their bedding to a crimply type paper called Eco-Bedding.  Which I thought was FANTASTIC!!  They didn't eat it and it didn't have an odd smell, it wasn't dusty and it allowed the pee and poop to fall to the bottom of it as it was paper it absorbed from the bottom up keeping the top dry.  But I wanted to potty train my chins to urinate mostly in a corner pan.  So I bought 3 plastic corner pans put the Eco Bedding around the pans and in the pans I used wood pellets.  Which they didn't eat either so everything was good.  But then after a whlie they weren't really using the pans so I got a suggestion from a nice lady who told me about fleece bedding.  Fleece is a high maintenance bedding.  You always have to maintain it but I find it worth it in the end.  You have to buy some good fleece wash it and dry it 3+ times to make it capable of 'wicking' urine through to a more absorbant material under the fleece.  I use two layers of towels on the bottom.  You do save $$$ on bedding but the cons are you have to always sweep the poops.  I sweep the poops 2 times a day almost.  I'm very picky about how clean their cage is.  I kept the wood pellets in the litter pans as they were heavy and couldn't kick them around.  Was working great and now both my chins are potty trained.  They aren't perfect but they will go in the pans.  It's rare that I see them urinating on the fleece.  And the fleece is always dry cause the pee wicks through it. You do have to wash the fleece and towels once a week.  I was happy with this set up for quite a while until I started to get annoyed at the wood pellets cause when they were wet they would seperate and turn to sawdust and they would track the wood dust everywhere.  So I found this other pellet bedding called ECO Straw by oxbow which is great.  Doesn't really break apart into little pieces just kinda fluffs up and its' heavy enough to stay in the pans they can also eat it as its' 100% made from wheat.    It does have a slight funny smell.  Like Beer when dry or granola bar like wet.  But it's not so bad.   I have tried using Yesterday's News and they just gorged themselves on it so that didn't last long.  So now my set up is Fleece and Eco Straw in pans.  Works for me!  Hope it helps you! ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:21:51 AM »

::silly::  Everyone has to use what is best for them in their situation and what is available to them.  But health can often be the number one reason that a particular bedding has to be used.  This is considering the health of the humans and the health of the chinchillas.

Homes with a small number of chinchillas will usually be able to spend a little more per bag or box because of the smaller amount needed.  These people usually have chinchillas living in a common area with humans, so neatness is a big consideration here. 

A major point people must take into consideration is ... is it eatable?  Is it safe for small children as well as chinchillas?
(Chinchillas are not the only ones that will eat what they are not suppose to eat.

Everyone has different allergies, so this, too, must be considered. 

Often people are not allergic to the chinchilla, but allergic to the bedding being used.

Yesterday's news paper is one I do not recommend.  The ink being used may not be safe for your chinchilla.  Often newspaper print will rub off on your chinchilla and leave him in a mess.

News paper that has not yet been printed on is a good one to use.  You can shred it and make a very soft, fluffy bedding wich has no odor or dust.  Often you can check with your local paper and find they are willing to sell you "end-of-the-roll" paper for a very reasonable price ... some will even give it to you, just to get it out of the way.

With those of us who have 25 or more (I have 100), have to go for beddings that are a little less expensive, but still safe and can be purchased in large quantities.  Large chip pine is my choice ... I like the smell and it is safe for chinchillas.  It does get a little messy, but the shop vac takes care of it in no time.

What not to use is often more important than what you can use.  Cedar and any bedding that is scented or contains odor controllers are big "no-no"s.  They can kill your precious chinchilla.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:48:21 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinpizza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

Thanks Annick and JoAnn for your replies.  :)

Can anyone comment on not using any bedding? The bottom of the cage is hard plastic, and I think that giving it a daily wipe off would be easier and cleaner than the weekly bedding change. My biggest concern with this is that if theres no bedding at the bottom will they start peeing on the shelves and everywhere else? I would like to keep the "pee spot" at the bottom. Also, it seems that they naturally like to urinate in the bedding so if I try no bedding for a while and they do start peeing on the shelves will they take back to the bedding? Or will they have gotten used to peeing anywhere and forget about only going in the bedding?

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »

Personally I don't think that should be a problem if you wipe the bottom up and leave no bedding.  But I would suggest to get a litter pan and put some bedding in that so they can have somewhere to pee.  My friend did that with her rabbit it basically forced him to only pee in the litter pan.  I kinda do that now I have no bedding but a fleece blanket at the bottom, save the peepee pans.  Though they acutally might end up sleeping in the litter pan if thats' the only place with soft bedding, unless they like to sleep on the shelves.  My chins have never peed on the shelves, but I know some people who have that problem.  You can always try it and see how it works.  Good Luck! ;)

Jose Chinchilla

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:02:48 AM »

Jo Ann,
 I work at a newspaper, so getting the end of the roll pre-printed newspaper shouldn't be hard for me. Can you tell me if any kind of unprinted newspaper will work? Also, how exactly would I need to shred it up? That would be so much less than having to buy the CareFresh twice a month. 

::silly::  Everyone has to use what is best for them in their situation and what is available to them.  But health can often be the number one reason that a particular bedding has to be used.  This is considering the health of the humans and the health of the chinchillas.

Homes with a small number of chinchillas will usually be able to spend a little more per bag or box because of the smaller amount needed.  These people usually have chinchillas living in a common area with humans, so neatness is a big consideration here. 

A major point people must take into consideration is ... is it eatable?  Is it safe for small children as well as chinchillas?
(Chinchillas are not the only ones that will eat what they are not suppose to eat.

Everyone has different allergies, so this, too, must be considered. 

Often people are not allergic to the chinchilla, but allergic to the bedding being used.

Yesterday's news paper is one I do not recommend.  The ink being used may not be safe for your chinchilla.  Often newspaper print will rub off on your chinchilla and leave him in a mess.

News paper that has not yet been printed on is a good one to use.  You can shred it and make a very soft, fluffy bedding wich has no odor or dust.  Often you can check with your local paper and find they are willing to sell you "end-of-the-roll" paper for a very reasonable price ... some will even give it to you, just to get it out of the way.

With those of us who have 25 or more (I have 100), have to go for beddings that are a little less expensive, but still safe and can be purchased in large quantities.  Large chip pine is my choice ... I like the smell and it is safe for chinchillas.  It does get a little messy, but the shop vac takes care of it in no time.

What not to use is often more important than what you can use.  Cedar and any bedding that is scented or contains odor controllers are big "no-no"s.  They can kill your precious chinchilla.

::wave::  Jo Ann

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »

i don't use bedding. i used to use the wooden pellets but when chinchi had problems with the skin on his feet (not quite bumblefoot but possibly getting there) the vet recommended to put fleece down. and we just kept the fleece and stopped putting bedding in. it works well. the sand clogs the washing machine every so often :D

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:30 AM »

I feel like an evil mum now as mine don't have bedding! They each have a fleece hammock and pee at the bottom of the cage but they also pee on one of the shelves unfortunately. I presume it's too late to change this now as they are about 7 years old and we've had them for 4 years now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up