Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: poo poo size question  (Read 1241 times)

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
poo poo size question
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

ever since we got kiwi and totoro there's been a difference in poo poo sizes (huge difference).. Totoro is 5 days older than kiwi and her average stool size is roughly 3/8th of an inch and sometimes (night time) her stool size raises up to 1/2 of an inch if not more than that! Kiwi's stool sizes are "noticeably" smaller in size measuring at an average of just over 1/4th of an inch. Both chins are eating and drinking the right amount and both are active, Kiwi (w/ smaller poo) is actually "hyper-active". Totoro is just slightly bigger/older  than kiwi at 4 months 9 days old... should this be of concern? Or is it normal for chins to have different poo sizes from each other? ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: poo poo size question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

::silly::  A difference, yes, but not that much difference unless there is a huge difference in the size of the chins.

Are they caged together?  OR separately?

If caged together, there is no real way of telling exactly how much food and water each is getting.

I would worry more in the number of poos and the moisture and/or lack of it than the size.

A much less number of poos and/or smaller and dryer than normal, is a sign of dehydration and or a possible oncoming illness ... as a rule.

A larger, rounder and overly moist poos is a possible sign of diarrhea and the possible early signs of a different type of illness.

Their poop can tell you so much.  Sounds strange ... but is very true.  In the early stages of an illness or injury, a chinchilla will mask/hide the signs as much as possible, this dates back to when they lived in the wild.  In the wild, any sign of weakness, illness or injury made them easy prey ... they still carry this instinct with them today.  But their poop is something they can not control, so watch it for early warnings.

This is why it is important to know what each one's normal poop looks like and normal/average number of droppings there is or should be for each one.

::wave::  Jo Ann

NOTE:  When two or more chins are caged together you must keep a closer watch on them and on their weight ... another early sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:08:20 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: poo poo size question
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »

They are caged together and eating the same type of food, i see both of the chins eating and drinking pretty often (being just gotten out of the military, I've been sitting in my room for a whole day and observing them  ::nod::). Their stool's firmness and moisture content are of equal. Kiwi's been having smaller stool since we've got her (roughly 2 months ago) is there anything I should do about this? I am feeding them mazuri pellets and oxbow timothy hay with the occasional alfalfa/timothy hay cubes, rarely any treats.

thanks for the quick reply Jo Ann  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up