Chinchillas > General Chat

I saved a life tonight..

(1/8) > >>

love_my_chin:
Something terrible almost happened tonight :::((( I walked into my room where I keep my chin. He is just about 4 months now and get into everything like any chin does  :D I had one of those metal spheres that hangs in the cage for the hay(https://bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/wa00713-hayball_small.jpg) and I came in to find my chin dangling from it   :o I was so scared, poor thing, i had no clue how long he had been like that for. He had squeezed his body through one of the tiny openings and his hips and knees got caught. He was struggling a lot to get out and finally, after some manipulation of the wires, I was able to get him free  ::clapp::.

I was wanted to let people know, especially newbies like myself, that these guys can get into anything and you really need to be careful..even with things that you leave in their cage  :doh:

Jo Ann:
 ::silly::    So true!

If it is 1 square inch or more, OR if it is flexable enough a chinchilla, especially a young one, can get through (or into this case try to get through/into) it.   If stuck, many can die of internal injuries (broken ribs, legs or damage to internal organs), complications (strangling, swelling, internal bleeding, surgery), or even shock.

You got there just in time!

Extras in a cage are nice to look at, but most are not necessary and can become a death trap for your chin. 

Be sure to report this to the manufacturer of the hay ball. 

Caution to all:  Make sure you always have the wires back in the exact same place once the hayball has been filled.  They can easily be bent when filling it with hay.

::wave::  Jo Ann

love_my_chin:
Thanks Jo Ann...He seems to be ok, just laying low today. I will definately be sending the manufacturer some sort of notice about their product! :flames:

cadillactaste:
This is so uncanny! I came here to report an incident with the same product...We had the same thing in our chins cage...and yesturday morning my husband woke me to say that Fluffy had his head caught in the darn thing. I go into the room where he's kept. And he actually had it off the cage chain still attached to the darn ball. And where the larger opening was...he had stuck his head inside. And gotten stuck. His entire head was inside this darn metal ball. I was able to free him. But thinking of the alternative and what could have occured. I have removed the thing from the cage. Just isn't worth the thought of it causing harm to my babies.

That someone else had an issue with the same product is just mind boggling! This needs to be on a sticky...since it's happened to two chins in such a close amount of time. This product IS NOT SAFE! I'm off to get ahold of the manufacture myself...

cadillactaste:
Here's contact information to inform them of anyone's experiances with this that might have harmed their beloved chins. Please make this toll free call.

Ware Manufacturing:
Hay Ball  item #00713
Toll Free # 1 800 295 CAGE

I've  called...they seemed rather nice...she wasn't aware of anyone having issues with this product. But planned on checking into it further...I also told her that I went to post my incident on the forum. Where I seen another person had their chin actually stuck in the same product. And was told to contact the manufacturer. My comment was...my chin could have strangled in the darn product had he not got the thing loose from the cage itself.

The person was concerned for the chin...asked how he was...he seems fine I stated...just was scared and hungry and attempting to eat from his pellets he couldn't reach with the cage ball over his head. Luckily it's wire that gives and I was able to get it off his head without harming him. But...it's tossed under his cage at the moment. I refuse to use it again.

Considering buying a bird suet cage holder and lock it with a small dog clasp from a leash. To hold their hay...I need something in there to hold it...But nothing that will put my fellas in danger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version