Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: CHINCHILLAS  (Read 14698 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
CHINCHILLAS
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:48:33 PM »

::silly::   I have just become a member of the chinchilla club.   I have 2 Chinchillas one is male and the other female. I just bought the female and she is in quarantine for the moment. I bought her from a nice breeder close to where I live. I have never gotten any of my animals from pet stores I think they are horrible and I feel bad for the animals that are locked up there.

My male Bernie is VERY tame and I love him to death I spend all my spare time with him. I hear and read all this information about how sensitive chinchillas are, but Bernie is not that sensitive at all. He doesnt mind loud noises when they happen, and him and I have a very strong bond. He will let you just pick him up, and him and I will watch funny movies together in my recliner. I couldn't ask for more. I really hope me and this female can bond. I named her BELL.  It will take some time but me and my boyfriend love them and give all of our animals a lot of attention.  I would like to try to get her a tame as Bernie, but I think he is just really special. I would love to breed him because he is a beautiful chinchilla with a wonder temperment and I know is kits would be very special.

Bernie loves playing tag with the the dog. I have a tea cup Pomeranian so really my Chin isn't much that much smaller than him. I also have 3 cats. My Chin just loves terrorizing the poor cats. I also have 6 hamsters and 5 fish. Lets just say I am a big animal lover lol. 

I am trying the be a lot more careful with this female  because I don't know what she is used to and she is only 4 months old so she is still very young.  I really don't have to make many precations with Bernie because I guess he is an "Iron Chinchilla"...lol so I have to be more careful with her.... ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: CHINCHILLAS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:57:42 AM »

::silly::Hi Asikovsek,

Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum & and The Wonderful World of Chinchillas![/b]

How do Bernie and Bell get along? How old is Bernie?

What is your Pomerania's name? We have a Pom named Buster, he's 14.

What are your three cat's name?  Do both the dog and the cats have all their shots up to date?

Six hamsters?  Are they all in the same family?

Hope you will enjoy being on the forum as much as I am sure we will enjoy having you here!

::wave::
Jo Ann [/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:26:25 AM »

Hi!
Welcome to the club!   Its true, all chinchillas are different.  Some are just super self-confident and don't get frightened by anything! Others are very nervous.  You got your female while she was still very young so I don't think you will have trouble bonding with her.  I would suggest getting to know her in a room away from the dog and cats so she can get used to you first without any distractions.  Once you two bond you can introduce her to the rest of the "family". 

Breeding can be very rewarding, especially since you bought your chinchillas from a breeder and you know they have good genetics.  Just be sure not to let your two chinchillas even play together until the girl is 8 months old.  By then you will know she is pretty much full grown.  Before that age she will still be growing and if she gets pregnant too soon she may not be large enough to deliver the babies safely.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!  ::howdythere::

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:59:30 AM »

Replying to Jo Ann,

Well Bernie and Bell seem to be getting along very well their cages a next to eachothers but far enough apart to prevent mating. They will stab  She seems to be very curious today a lot less scared than she has been yesterday because I just brought her home yesterday. Bernie and her watch eachother from eachothers cages. I make a little call as if I would call a cat over and she comes right over. Bernie is a little over 2 years old.

My Pom's name is Cody he is about 3 years old and he is full of attitude we call him our little prince because he refuses to walk in wet grass...haha

My Cat's names are Maxwell is 6.. he is a purebred Birman....Gimpy who is Max's son and we called him Gimpy because when he was a small kitten he broke him leg and gimped around with a little cast on his foot.   He was so cute I just couldn't part with him. The last cat's name is Babby He was neglected by his mother and one night I heard a kitten meowing for hours outside when I was trying to sleep and I got up and there he was sitting on my porch helpless and thats all it took for me too take him in.  And Yes all my animals are up to date with their shots especially Max and Gimpy because the Birman breed is very prone to allergies that irritate their skin so I have to take them every month for allergy shots and bath them once a week in a special shampoo.

I used to breed hamsters and I had a lot of them...I  down sized to the six of my favorite and they are all closely related in some way. I loved breeding them especially the teddy bear hamsters because the colors of them would come out so unique and I loved playing with the little babies running around. I had big litters too. One litter consisted of 20 babies! A good friend of mine bought the hamster babies from me for his small petshop and the only reason I sold them to him was because I know he takes very good care of his animals and makes sure they are going to good homes. ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:52:44 PM »

Hi There,
Nice to meet you and your chins +.
I started with the one pair ;D keep and breed about 30 of the little darlings now.
No two are alike, but will bond with you in their own individual ways. Just like all your other animals. ::nod::
We love pics, hint hint ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:25:42 PM »

;) Well since you like Pics here are some of my animals...The first pic is Bernie my standard...I don't have pics of Bell yet but will get some also here is cody my tea cup Pom.....and my lazy fat cats...lol ;)

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »

;)  here are some more...my pom is on the back of my b/f's motorcycle

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:54 PM »

:::grins::   funny how you say the your chin torments your cats cause mine torment both my cats too it is so funny watching them tease the cats I just lay there and laugh rofl ::silly::
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:16:24 AM »

;) If my cats come to close they like to bite them, when the chins are out they chase the cats around. rofl

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 11:22:16 AM »

::silly::Here's the voice of doom!   rofl  Just kidding  ::silly::

But a word of CAUTION:
We are what the ole folks call in the Dog Days of Summer, for those who have never heard that expression ... it is a time in the summer that animals that are normally docile and sweet, may nip or scratch ... If the skin is broken, it can result in a severe infection/blood poisoning.  (I had blood poisoning in 1995 from a cat bite during the same time of the year.)  It had not had it's vaccination either.  ::sadtears::

Keep in mind that a scratch, even an innocent one, from a cat or dog at this time could kill your chinchilla.

I would rather be OVER CAUTIOUS than to have to bury a little one.

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 11:36:36 AM »

Hi Jo Ann  I had something similar happen to me. I was cleaning abscess on a cat and his head got out of someone's hand and he bit me hard, to the bone. I very was sick . :'( I know how dangerous a cat bit can be. BE VERY CAREFUL!

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »

I have never been REALLY bitten by a cat that must really hurt especially if there are claws involved my cats play bite, but not with the chinchillas. My cats will come up to there catches and stick nose to nose with the chins.....its when the chins our out the cat terrorizing starts them chins love pouncing on my cat...lol and I have to give credit to my cats they just lay there like here we go again....attack of the giant rodent....lol.....and the chins and the dog are about the same size lol so they play tag....its really cute I want to cam record it sometime and post it on the web for people to see.... ::silly:: ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »

::silly::Hi Asikovsek,

I'd love to see a film of the chins and the cats, I bet they are cute together.   ;)

We have a Great Dane, Lady, and a Pomeriainan, Buster, and 200+ chins.  Buster ignors the chins, but will let them crawl on him.  Lady adores the chins and they seem to adore her also.  She helps watch them while I clean cages.  If one gets loose, she will let us know and show us where it is.  They will come to her and give her chinnie kisses.  rofl

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »

Don't forget about cat scratch fever either.
Debbie.nl.ca

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 10:22:16 PM »

I was cleaning abscess on a cat
what is abscess?
and my kitties are declawed I had to have Mr. Bizzle declawed were we used to live or I would had to have gotten rid of him I couldn't do that and I trim his back claws too and he just lays there and lets the chinnies pounce him and they also groom him too it is cute
as for Phil we got him declawed because I don't think that it would be fair to Mr. Bizzle that Phil had his claws so we got him done to and I trim his back claws too and he like s to run around with the chinnies and then they tire him out and they pounce on him too I think they like chasing the cats :::grins::
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up