Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There's Poo EVERYWHERE!!!  (Read 2631 times)

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
There's Poo EVERYWHERE!!!
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »

Hahah so I left the chins for a weekend, left on Friday night and came back Sunday.  My boyfriend and I are real anal about cleanliness so we are constantly vaccuming and cleaning the chin cage.  Usually I hire a woman to come by and play with them while we're away but she wasn't available that weekend so we left them with lots of toys and food and so forth.  I just have to laugh cause when we came back... nothing would have prepared us for the crazy amount of poo all over the place!  There was poo EVERYWHERE!!  ::scaredspeachless::HAHA I thought the picture would be amusing to some... maybe horrifying also.  I think next time I get shelves made I'll put a gard on the edges.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: There's Poo EVERYWHERE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:30:41 AM »

::silly::  Yep ... they were full of it!   :D   They always are!

Guards on the shelves would be a good idea and would help to a certain extent ... just remember ... they will use the guards as chew toys also.   ::)

Guards can easily be made by taking 1" x 1" or 1" x 2" strips, cut them to size. The sizes mentioned can be easily cut with a hand saw.  Remove the shelf.  Pre-drill the holes (to keep the wood from splitting) and use wood screws, not nails, to attach them to the three outer edges of the shelf and reattach the shelf inside the cage. 

Drilling holes and using tight fitting dowels is also an option, if you want to avoid using screws or nails.

Shelves with guards will cost you more than regular shelves and you will have to replace the guards as the chins chew them, but it is well worth it to learn how to build and replace them yourself.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Almighty Chinchillas

• Crystal Brooks
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Almighty Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »

oooooo honey.....lol...u should c my floor....I sweep it at least 4x a day:)
When faced with a problem always remember: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »

Yes you don't realize until they are left for a few days just how much they are " full of it"   :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »

Hahah so I left the chins for a weekend, left on Friday night and came back Sunday.  My boyfriend and I are real anal about cleanliness so we are constantly vaccuming and cleaning the chin cage.  Usually I hire a woman to come by and play with them while we're away but she wasn't available that weekend so we left them with lots of toys and food and so forth.  I just have to laugh cause when we came back... nothing would have prepared us for the crazy amount of poo all over the place!  There was poo EVERYWHERE!!  ::scaredspeachless::HAHA I thought the picture would be amusing to some... maybe horrifying also.  I think next time I get shelves made I'll put a gard on the edges.

That's not so bad... With 3 chins and a rabbit all in the same area in my place lol we vac a lot too...

On a side note since i'm trying to find new stuff to add to the cages for them to climb and chew... where did you get that nifty wooden "bridge"?

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

Hi there Crimson_Ham,

The wood bridge I have in my chin cage was actually put together by me.  I bought two of these things http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/images/prod/10039828_lg.jpg  and i bought some wire from the local hardware store and took the little log huts a part with a pair of pliers.  Then I cut the wire I bought and weaved in the logs.  That's how I got the bridge!!  Hope it helped! ;)

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »

I may have to try that... I've been looking into different ways to layer and make the empty space climbable and fun.
Thanks!

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »

Yeah I know what you mean!  They do really enjoy it, they bounce off of it, they chew it.  The poops get stuck in between the logs sometimes though.   ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »

::silly::  If you drill holes in the little logs, you can put the wire through the holes ... once full, use a pair of pointed pliers to curl the ends of the wire back into the logs ... you can come up with all kind of shapes!

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up