Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help!!  (Read 2431 times)

SaraK

• Duh duh duh duh! IndieChin!
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • Let the adventures of IndieChin begin!
    • View Profile
I need help!!
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

I have a chinchilla with a really unusual color (at least to me) and I can't figure out exactly what it is. His name is Indiana Jones (Indie Chin), he was born a few months ago to two standard grey pet store chinchilla's. His two litter mates were both standard grey, but he came out a different color. What I am thinking is Homo beige but can anyone give me a second opinon? He is tan-ish but his belly is white/grey under fur. The video link is a video I made of him playing on my bed for my friend to see. Also, I am new to owning a chin, can you give me some basic tips? I want a perfectly healthy well-raised chinchilla.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0XoaXaaOVU

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I need help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »

::silly::   Cute video!  Shows how they like to explore their surroundings.   ::nod::

It definitely looks like a beige chinchilla.  Was he born in the pet store?  Are you sure both parents were standard grays?  The gestation period for chinchilla kits is about 111 days ... almost 4 months.  Could the momma have been around a beige chinchilla about 4 months ago?

It is very unusual (but not impossible) for two standard gray chinchillas to deliver a beige kit, especially one that light. 

Homo beige kits are usually born to a beige and a white (white mosaic or a pink white).

Hetero beige kits only need one beige parent ... as a rule ... Of course, in saying that, I need to explain a little more.  If both parents are standard gray, both would almost had to have had beige or pink white genes in their backgrounds.  (Each throwing beige genes into this one kit.)  Genes can skip a generation or two or more.

This is one of the problems with purchasing a pet store chinchilla ... you never know what it might produce.   ::)

A hetero beige chinchilla can be as light as this one.

A homo beige chinchilla has very unusual eyes ... I will post a picture of a homo chinchilla's eye so that you may see the difference.  Notice the cloudy ring around the iris.

Without knowing the background, there is no way to ever definitely say what a chinchilla is ... but this one does have all the appearances of a beige chinchilla.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

SaraK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »

Hey Jo Ann! Thanks alot for taking the time to help me.

I should tell you, My chinchilla definately has the cloudy eyes like the homo beige picture that you attached. In fact, that is one of his bigger features. They are so clouded, they look blue beneath a soft pink. Does that have any effect on his eye sight by the way?

I think the lady I got Indie from doesn't really know much about chinchilla's, she just got them for her kids. Which is kind of sad. I know that they are both grey for sure, and both of his littermates came out the same as the parents. I am positive that the mother was not around another chinchilla, the father is a newer chin, I think it was when she introduced him that the female got pregnant.

Either way he is gorgeous, I am just afriad I am not taking care of him the right way because I keep getting different advice and mixed advice, and I know so little about Chinchillas as it is.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 02:57:20 PM by SaraK »

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »

I love your little Chinner! ;)  He looks so cute!  I can`t help with your question, but I just wanted to say how cute he is!! :::grins::
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:28:12 AM by Petco Chinchillas »
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »

I am just afraid I am not taking care of him the right way because I keep getting different advice and mixed advice, and I know so little about Chinchillas as it is.

::silly::  There is lots of missinformation out there ... it was my worst frustration when I first started trying to learn about chinchillas.  It was much worse back then, than it is now. 
 The main problems are:
(1)  To many out there will not want to admit they do not know the answer, so they guess at it, and give you their guess-answer, as if it is the absolute truth ... these I'd like to strangle [smack my hand, not nice thing to say] ... many chins have died due to these answers. 
No one knows everything and there is no harm in saying "I don't know." or "That's a new one on me."
(2)  This same information is innocently passed on to others.
(3)  Myths are being passed off as truths.
"The Joy of Chinchillas" (can be found at California Chins @ www.cachins.org) and "After Forty Years Alice Kline Talks About Chinchillas" (can be found at M.C.B.A. in their general store @ http://www.mutationchinchillas.com/) and the old "Rancher's Handbook" (found on the Empress Chinchilla site @ http://www.empresschinchilla.com/ half way down on the right side of the opening page) all of these give you the correct information.  Each is a bit pricey, but you will find they are worth their weight in gold ... even at today's gold prices.    ::nod::    I have and use all three constantly.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:03:59 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »

What a little cutie congrats.
Looks homo beige to me.    ::nod::  finding out how that could be should be fun. ::shrug::
As a pet it doesn't matter, he's just a darling little critter, and I love his color. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

SaraK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »

Aww! Thanks everybody! I really love my Indie Chin and I am so happy for the support and advice!
Jo Ann, I will definately have to look into those books! Perhaps I can check them out of the library.
He is such a sweet little guy, I don't know how I ever go so lucky getting him as a kit for free!!!!! At least I know he is a beige now, that is a start. I will wait a little longer and see what turns out!
Thanks everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up